Thread: Depression/anxiety on Radio Kent today PLUS depression self-help group in Tonbridge

Depression/anxiety on Radio Kent today PLUS depression self-help group in Tonbridge

Once again Radio Kent have addressed issues that really affect us on their morning current affairs/phone-in show

This time it was depression (and anxiety).

Hopefully it may be useful for some people to hear that there's a new self-group starting in the Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells area for sufferers, and a support website I've never heard of before:

http://www.depressionalliance.org/

The show was the Julia George show from today - Wednesday 25th April (although she was actually away so the presenter is Clare):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/programmes...les/2012/04/25

(The subtitle of the show is 'Should firms be able to force us to retire?' and the depression/anxiety part starts at 1hr 6mins 44s in.)

It starts off with 'one in five people will have depression at some point in our lives, but as many as three in four cases are neither recognised nor treated, which is quite a staggering statistic'.

If you listen to the interview with Sarah (so brave for going on!) you'll see, perhaps, that Clare doesn't really 'get' depression but is very sympathetic, particularly about the stigma around mental health, and being open about feelings. Sarah did absolutely brilliantly explaining how depression is (thanks so much Sarah!!)

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

I didn't listen to the rest of the show so have no idea if they did, but they often take calls on topics later on

Re: Depression/anxiety on Radio Kent today PLUS depression self-help group in Tonbrid

Anyone listen?

Just a bump because there are only a few days left to listen on iplayer

Re: Depression/anxiety on Radio Kent today PLUS depression self-help group in Tonbrid

Hi - thanks for the link. I did listen and though the speaker (can't remember her name now) was very good, but I thought the presenter was terrible!

I followed the links the Depression Alliance which does look like a brilliant website with lots of useful links. However, I then followed the links to the local groups to find that the one nearest to me is not running meetings at the moment. I sent emails to the organisers of that group and the one next nearest to ask if any meetings are upcoming and neither have replied yet pretty bad for a depression group. It's been 5/6 days. Maybe I'll hear something later this week.

Yes I listened to it - thanks for the thread. I thought it was very interesting and related to it.

The second part was especially interesting. I have a chronic health problem that looking back caused me to be very depressed and suicidal due to the pain. I was treated for the pain (although not effectively) but not once did they care for my mental health. I remember being high on meds that did not even touch the pain and I felt so hopeless. I could not remember what it was like to be without pain. I told the DR how I felt and I saw him Dr write 'mentally not well'. He did not ask me about my mental health or offer any treatment or support! I feel so let down.

Quote Originally Posted by littleredhen View Post
    Hi - thanks for the link. I did listen and though the speaker (can't remember her name now) was very good, but I thought the presenter was terrible!

I followed the links the Depression Alliance which does look like a brilliant website with lots of useful links. However, I then followed the links to the local groups to find that the one nearest to me is not running meetings at the moment. I sent emails to the organisers of that group and the one next nearest to ask if any meetings are upcoming and neither have replied yet pretty bad for a depression group. It's been 5/6 days. Maybe I'll hear something later this week.
    I completely agree, the presenter wasn't anywhere near as good as the usual lady, unfortunately, but Sarah was great.

That's a bit poor about them not contacting you back, have you heard anything now? I looked at the website and there was nothing on the new Tonbridge group. It's so unfortunate that people with depression have to struggle so hard to contact anyone (I'm thinking here more of the NHS, but this too - in this case you can imagine a charity might struggle with what is probably a huge demand, but still...)

I also think it's a great shame that interviews like this aren't archived by the BBC - after all us licence payers fund them! - and are available for just a week on iPlayer

Quote Originally Posted by K1rsty View Post
    Yes I listened to it - thanks for the thread. I thought it was very interesting and related to it.

The second part was especially interesting. I have a chronic health problem that looking back caused me to be very depressed and suicidal due to the pain. I was treated for the pain (although not effectively) but not once did they care for my mental health. I remember being high on meds that did not even touch the pain and I felt so hopeless. I could not remember what it was like to be without pain. I told the DR how I felt and I saw him Dr write 'mentally not well'. He did not ask me about my mental health or offer any treatment or support! I feel so let down.
    So sorry to hear that K1rsty, unfortunately I'm not surprised How long I wonder until we have proper care in this country for mental health problems...actually it makes me wonder if any other countries have good systems in place as I've no idea

Thread Information