Thread: Hyperventilation syndrome? (Dizziness etc)

Hyperventilation syndrome? (Dizziness etc)

I'v had bad anxiety for quite some time,few years back i started getting extreme dizziness,dizzy spells,vertigo,brain zaps etc along with fatigue,weakness etc.When i had a Vestibular(balance) test he said results were fine but he watched my breathing and said he thinks iv got hyperventilation syndrome,gave me a leaflet and booked a app to see a physio.Stupidly i canceled as i was convinced these symptoms were a physical problem and not my anxiety.I found the leaflet yesterday and today thought iv do some deep breathing exercises to see if over time if the dizziness slowly fades it must be how im breathing it.I followed this guide were you sit up,slowly breath through your nose,then exhale out your mouth with ur lips nearly closed(like blowing out a candle) and slowly exhaled.After i few times its made me soooooo dizzy,i start going hot,face boils up and i can feel my pulses in my head,they make my head shake!.Is this normal? I thought it would help not bring on symptoms :S am i doing something wrong?

Re: Hyperventilation syndrome? (Dizziness etc)

I thought I might have hyperventilation syndrome as well because I get the same symptoms. Focusing on my breathing has NOT helped! I find that the more I try to control my breathing, the more anxious I get. I don't think it works for everyone. If I notice I'm breathing particularly fast, I just try to make sure I've exhaled fully, then take another "natural" breath and repeat. I counted my breaths while doing this and it was about 10 per minute, so I don't think I have hyperventilation syndrome, which doesn't help explain all of my symptoms.

Re: Hyperventilation syndrome? (Dizziness etc)

Quote Originally Posted by xvolatileheart View Post
    I thought I might have hyperventilation syndrome as well because I get the same symptoms. Focusing on my breathing has NOT helped! I find that the more I try to control my breathing, the more anxious I get. I don't think it works for everyone. If I notice I'm breathing particularly fast, I just try to make sure I've exhaled fully, then take another "natural" breath and repeat. I counted my breaths while doing this and it was about 10 per minute, so I don't think I have hyperventilation syndrome, which doesn't help explain all of my symptoms.
    I got 15 breaths a minute,was 3 in the morning though and i was really tired :P isnt hyperventilation when you have low carbon dioxide? thought that would mean not exhaleing to much to keep your CD lvls up?

Thread Information