Thread: ANXIETY AND FLYING

ANXIETY AND FLYING

Since a young age I've always had a keen interest in other cultures and countires, However when I was 18 my anxiety and panic attacks kicked in so really coudn't go anywhere. I really want to see the world but my anxiety is holding me back. I'm just wondering if any of you's have with anxiety problems have been on a plane and what was it like?

I have problems going any distance in a car, motorways are the worse, My stomach turns, I feel dizzy, I've even passed out thanks to the panic attacks, Public transport is a big no no. Its like my worst nightmare being on a bus, And when I'm in the car etc, I get the stupid thoughts associated with anxiety like "Open the door", I know if I went on a boat i'd get thoughts like "Jump over board" Sounds really stupid I know!! As for a Plane people have said "Ah you'll be fine, its not so bad" these people don't have anxiety and unfortunatly with anxiety things are usually the way you invisage them sometimes worse

Hi Davey,

I do have terrible anxiety and yes that includes anxiety about flying. I must say though that I do fly and I am by no means a "plane person". I get horrible anxiety when I am due to fly but I want to see the world and I will not let this anxiety get the best of me. I just flew across the states recently and had nightmares for a week before the trip and wondered if it was really worth it but afterwards I realized it was. I had a wonderful time and achieved something. I faced fear in the face and won.

Now in regards to the flying itself, you need to go prepared. You have to occupy your mind. I feel if you think you are going to freak out you will, just like you mentioned above. I honestly think how we think about things positive or negative relflect the outcome of many situations. I hope this has helped.

Bel

"Our thoughts are our reality"

Thread Information