Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: increasing dosage from 20mg to 30 mg

Re: increasing dosage from 20mg to 30 mg

Hi everyone,

Can I ask, for those of you who have upped from 20mg to 30mg, what form of prozac are you taking, i.e. capsules, dispersible tablets or liquid?

Because I have a phobia about taking meds, when I first started on prozac 17 years ago, I started on the liquid, and I literally started out one drop at a time, then every 3-4 days I would increase by another drop, I never had any side effects at all. From memory it took 100 drops to make a 5ml (equal to 20mg dose) and as you can imagine it took a few months to get to the full dose...lol...but for me because of my phobia it worked for me to do it that way. Unfortunately in Australia they do not have the liquid anymore, so for me to increase my dosage from 20 to 30 mg, I am starting on the dispersible tablets and I will literally cut it into eighths to begin with, of course because of my phobia I am now concerned that all the ingredients in the tablets are not the same as in the capsule, I dont mean the fluoxetine, but all the other agents they put into to make the tablet. Lol, just shoot me cos I know this all sounds so ridiculous!!!...

But, I do have an expired bottle of the liquid, (2004) about a quarter bottle, so I went googling Do medications really expire, and suprisingly apart from antibiotics and a couple of other meds, apparantly most are good for 10 years or more. I feel inclined to start my increase by using my expired bottle of liquid, I guess because I trust it, because that is what I used all those years ago, but I know once that runs out I am only delaying the inevitable because then I would have to take the tablet form. But I guess I am hoping by then because of taking the liquid my anxiety about taking a different form of prozac will have lessened because I will have begun to feel better/ less anxious. After all I did eventually progress from 5ml of liquid to a 20mg prozac capsule.

Gosh what a load of old twaddle I have written !!! ..I guess I am hoping that someone here can relate to what I am saying.

Thanks in advance

Forgot to say, its been 10 days since my Dr told me to increase and I still havent, every day that goes by that I dont start the increase I get more and more disappointed in myself.
    Last edited by TriciaB; 11-05-12 at 02:36.

Re: increasing dosage from 20mg to 30 mg

i originaly wanted to start with the 10 mg tablet(to increase) so i could cut them in half and go up 5 mg at a time slowly but my doctor wrote the script for capsules so there was no way to half it i just take a 20 mg capsule plus a 10 mg capsule everyday so far so good

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information