Thread: already piling on the pounds...

already piling on the pounds...

Eeeeekk, I’m already piling on the pounds with Ven. I’m feeling really great mentally and I’ve only been on them 2 weeks.

I was so hopeful after being on sertraline for 10 weeks and feeling worst.

My mood lifted instantly on the ven but looks like my weight has lifted too.

How annoying. My low self esteem will be dented even more by putting on weight. Help.

Re: already piling on the pounds...

Many of us Mirtazapine users have similar issues. However many of us have also managed to arrest or even reverse the weight gain with strict approach to eating, but it's hard, and I must admit the weight I managed to lose last summer is now back on (and then some). So you are not alone.

BUT - if this is the price to pay for better mental health, isn't it worth it? I know none of us like being overweight, but as your mental health improves, the hope is it will matter less and less.

Hi there,

Venlafaxine doesn't cause weight gain directly. It reduces anxiety which, in turn, can increase your appetite. I'm also on ven and have found my previously poor appetite has definitely improved and I've put on a little weight (in my case, I needed to).

I guess it's how we respond to the increased appetite which determines if we gain weight. As you're starting to feel better, it might be a good time to increase the amount of exercise you do as well as being a little careful about what you eat?

However, Ingenious is right, a little weight gain is a small price to pay for feeling better!

Pip x

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Alfredo1
    chuffed to bits that you're more settled on Ven we miss you on the sert thread, I've been on sert 9 weeks and I've hit a blip, feeling really flat and anxious if it carries on like this I'll be asking my GP for a swap. I've lost weight too and I'm still getting diarrhrea. would you recommend Venlafaxine ????

What dose you on Alfredo ?

I think shes on 75mg slow release kate x x

Hi all,

I think I’ve hit a bit of a blip. Basically, as soon as I went on the ven I felt so much better. I felt calm, positive, clear head. Now bang, I’ve gone back to where I was. Feel very down and like I’m in a bit of a bubble.
    Thought it might have all been too good to be true!

I’m on 75mg slow release. I will perhaps give another week and if I still feel like this, I’ll go to the doctors and as to up. What’s the normal dose for ven???

Hi Kel, it's probably just a little blip, it can take weeks to settle down. Re the weight thing, it's because anxiety uses up loads of energy when the body goes into high stress (flight or fight) mode. You burn up loads of calories just by sitting around feeling like crap. When your system calms down you're not burning those calories. It's not the medication itself, just stick to 2000 calories a day and do some exercise and you shouldn't put on loads, will probably just put on what you lost and then stabilise.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the Ven is the one. xx

Thread Information