Thread: Agomelatine/valdoxan

Agomelatine/valdoxan

Hi
    Is anyone taking this at the moment. I have read some posts but they go back to 2009/10. Due to start on Wednesday.
    Many thanks.
    Gunny

Re: Agomelatine/valdoxan

Hi Gunny - sorry I have never of this drug - what is it used for?

Perhaps someone with more knowledge will answer you shortly!

Glad you asked that. I logged on just now to ask exactly the same thing. I read about it somewhere the other day, and have been googling it ever since. Results seem really mixed but that wouldn't stop me from trying it if I got the chance to. I am guessing here in the uk that GPs don't prescribe it, so that would mean a psychiatrist. And NHS waiting lists are ridiculously bad.

Have you started this yet? From what I've read online it works really quickly and also is weight neutral.

I've been offered this by my psychiatrist today - it looks like a 'miracle' med as far as side effects are concerned for depression, also doesn't seem to mess about with serotonin from what I understand (I may be wrong on that, so don't trust me there!) And some suggestion online it can help with anxiety.

The only downside to it seems to be that my psychiatrist said that it either works, or it doesn't. No helping 'a little' like some other meds. But he said it can even help within a few weeks (unlike SSRIs).

I'm very anti more medication, but am very tempted on this one, I shall have to have a long think about this...

I was prescribed this by my dr today and got to the hospital pharmacy who then refused to give it to me as apparently not all places in Scotland will supply it. Was wondering if anyone in Scotland has managed to get hold of it ?

Many thanks x

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny22 View Post
    Hi
    Is anyone taking this at the moment. I have read some posts but they go back to 2009/10. Due to start on Wednesday.
    Many thanks.
    Gunny
    I've been on 25mg for 8 weeks. My depression seems to of lifted but I don't know if that's because I was able to come off the Mirtazapine which was making me depressed!

I wake with nausea every morning as well as sweating and hot but don't know if that's the Valdoxan or my recently DX [Feb] coeliac disease!

I'm not taking any tonight to see what happens.

It plays havoc with my sleep on some nights, so I take a Phenergan 25mg to help with that.

If the nausea stops after I stop taking it, I'll let you know.

Weird dreams but not scary ones like I had with Cymbalta.

Some ppl seem to like it, others found it was like taking a placebo.

I'd like to know if you can stop cold turkey or if you have to wean off it. Can't find anything on the net with reference to that.
    Cheers

Thread Information