Thread: side effects changing from 20mg to 40mg?

side effects changing from 20mg to 40mg?

Hi all, after a blip having been on citalopram for nearly 2 years, my doc has increased the dosage to 40mg.

Has anyone has similar increases, are the side effects just like the beginning, or abit lighter or worse?

Cheers

Re: side effects changing from 20mg to 40mg?

Hi 20 to 40 is quite a big jump, if i was you id be inclined to go to 30 first for a wk or so x x

I also went to 40mg from 20mg but via 30mg for a while. I did notice a few effects mostly being tired and a bit fizzy (slightly flu-like) but nothing serious. The thing is you have been on 20mg for a couple of years, this is a good foundation to build on, I'd be surprised if you get anything like the initial side effects. If you do they shouldn't last long.

Hi Big Mo - would tend to jump up by 10mg like Nicola and Ingenious - I was on Prozac 20mg for years and was told to go to 40mg - felt so anxious - don't want to scare you but they don't do 10mg Prozac but would defo go up 10mg increments.

Laura

thanks for your feedback guys how long before the extra meds take a noticeable effect do you think?

There's supposedly a lag of at least a few weeks - but everyone is different, you might pick up sooner (sometimes just knowing you are on a bigger dose can have an effect).

And in my post above I meant to say "fuzzy" not "fizzy", it's a few years since I've been fizzy!

I went from straight from 20mg to 40mg on the advice from my doctor. The first few days i felt what can only be described as "high", however that went away. What i have had to put up with is an absolutely throbbing jaw, which I think is due to teeth grinding at night. Its only in the last week or so that I have noticed its not as sore. I dont know why, but after 3 months its only now that I'm starting to get a positive effect from Citalopram. Im glad i stuck with it.

thanks for your feedback guys, I appreciate it

Hi all, my dose of Cit went up from 30mg to 40mg on May 2nd. I'd started out on 10mg, moving up to 20mg then had been on 30mg since October 2011. Initially I thought the 30mg was a bit better for me, though no great shakes. Past couple of weeks however my mood has darkened significantly. Hope the 40mg makes a difference though I shouldn't expect to feel anything till around the 4 - 6 week mark?

Is 40mg quite a high dose? Anyone been on more?
    "In the end we only regret chances we didnt take, relationships we were scared to have, and decisions we waited to long to make. There comes a time in your life when you realise who matters, who doesn't, who never did, and who always will". - Anon

I'm sure I read 60mg is the largest dose, maybe on the leaflet inside. I was hoping up the dose wouldn't take quite as long as if start from new, however I'm not sure.

Thread Information