Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24hr Blood Pressure test - HELP !!

24hr Blood Pressure test - HELP !!

Am curently 7 hours into this blood pressure test and it's starting to stress me out .... have noticed the cuff is getting tighter each time this past 4 times and although I am trying to stay calm I know I'm stressing..... have been nervy all day about it and am worried my reading will be artificially high becauses of it.

Anyone else had this test and felt nervous and can advise me on how to be/stay calm ?? Thank you

Re: 24hr Blood Pressure test - HELP !!

I deliberately made myself very busy when I had mine as I wanted to see if the blood pressure got worse the more I did so I was running round cleaning, doing the housework, ironing you name it lol

The readings were all fine with me so I wouldn't worry about it

The point is that you are supposed to live a normal life for 24 hours whilst you have it on so they can see what happens. There is no point having it and laying in bed the whole time if you see what I mean

I also took mine off inbetween the 30 minute readings as it was annoying me
    Last edited by nomorepanic; 02-05-12 at 17:57.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks Nicola. The annoying thing is today has been a day where there has literally been nothing to do ! No shopping or anything, so my usual stresses/ things to do haven't been there . Don't think it has helped that my test reading they did before I left the hospital was 148/99 .... could have cried on the spot. Haven't really done anything this past 7 hours except go to the loo and eat my meals but I can't just go shopping for the sake of it ! Dunno what to do at the moment .....

I hate this anxiety, have never had high b/p readings in my life til this past month or two :(

I was doing some spring cleaning at the time as I couldn't find much to do either and I had taken a day off work to do it as well.

Overnight it gets annoying and I think it does the readings every 2 hours but it is uncomfortable to wear whilst trying to sleep

At least they are doing the right thing testing you so they can see what the readings are like.

As long as you have done the usual things today and not deliberately sat down all day then I think you will be fine to say the readings are representative of a typical day.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for your fast replies Nicola, I can't believe how stressy wearing this silly thing is ! I told myself when I woke to stay calm as it wasn't going to find anything wrong, but you know that little voice in the head when it gets going ..... ! I sit down most of the day anyway, so the test should be pretty indicative of normal .... fingers crossed

Good luck with it and let us know the results when you get them but as I said mine came back perfectly normal

will deff do that, and thanks again for the repliess

You are welcome

Btw, did your cuff start to hurt when it inflated after about 8 hours or so ? Mine is getting reallly sore when it inflates now :(

Yes it does get sore after a while. I was in hospital once and they kept doing the blood pressure every 20 mins and after a while it was getting very sore as it gets quite tight. I ended up with red marks on my arm where it had been.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information