Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad anxiety, panic and insomnia

Unhappy Bad anxiety, panic and insomnia

Hi I have just joined as have been suffering with a terrible anxiety and panic attacks for the last couple of weeks. Even before that I had been waking up in the middle of a night in a panicky feeling with work in my mind. I have been suffering sleep disturbances for a very long time, on and off anyway.

My physical symptoms have been so numerous that the list would make War and Peace look pretty thin But some include feeling of not being able to breath (I thought I was having an asthma attack and rushed to my doctor who said it's only one of the symptoms and my lungs were fine; I also just have realised that it is probably acid reflux as apparently can feel like asthma and makes you need to clear your throat a lot), racing heart and palpitations and fear of dying (but of course!), stomach pains and nausea, feeling like my lungs are 'itching', constant dry mouth and thirst, shakiness and twitching, inability to focus on anything, terrible muscle tension and aches, exhaustion (no wonder without sleep), headaches blah blah blah...

I have seen my doc so many times over the last few weeks that I feel really sorry for her now. She has put me on antidepressants which I should have started last night but my friend gave me some tranquillisers and I took that as my hands were shaking so much that it was almost impossible to type.

I have just got up from bed -after maybe three hours of sleep - and taken another librium and now feeling a bit sleepy so fingers crossed.

Oh, and just discovered a new symptom, tingling of my head or mainly forehead and face...

I have been trying to self medicate with wine quite a bit as the panic/thread is so bad especially at night time but stopped as it just made me worse. My doctor has been really good but didn't tell her the self medication bit. I will start my antidepressants in a day or two as want to first get over this worst bit immediately.

Sorry for a long post but had to do something to stop yet another panic attack... But it has been helpful to read other people's stories and identify the same things.

Hi Marj

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Bad anxiety, panic and insomnia

Thanks Nicola, this forum is really useful

I too can't sleep with worrying. All the symptoms are anxiety related. Right now, because I haven't slept, if I jump at the slightest thing it feels like im having a heart attack.

Hi there, I'm so sorry you're going through this, but know that you're not alone.
    The anti-depressants will take a few weeks to kick in, and it might get worse before it gets better....Did your doc give you anything else like Ativan or Xanax? Also, check out the remedies on this site. When my panic got so terribly bad, taking a little xanax helped a lot. I want to find more natural remedies, and the Bach's Rescue Remedy has helped a lot. As for the wine, try to steer clear of it- alcohol is a depressant and may make it worse in the long run. Talk to someone you love and trust, even though right now you may feel so alone. Also, try going for a walk. When I was sleeping for days on end, for fear of being awake and having panic again, my boyfriend made me start taking a walk around the block, and it really helped to get some fresh air.

hope this helps, and happy healing....

Never be afraid to ask anymore questions. You're definitely not alone..

Yes I know about the night time terrors! Last night was the first one I have managed to get 5-6 hours of sleep in over a week I think. I normally wake up around 3am thinking that my heart is racing and when I check, it is not. Actually it is becoming a compulsion to keep checking the HR all the time the day... My fear of having a problem with my heart is affecting my ability to do exercise now.

Doc has given me codeine as well but I am surprised that she did not even suggest xanax or anything else to get immediate help.

I have been using rescue remedy but not sure if it helps. I learned my lesson with the wine! Walking is one of my ways to combat a panic attack and it does work.

Also, I have been off sick a couple of weeks and I have a meeting at work tomorrow to discuss whether I am capable to carry on with my job, and it is making me really anxious. Unfortunately since the ongoing insomnia - dizziness, mental fog, even my vision is blurred - I don't feel I will be on the greatest form but we'll see. Worry about being dismissed doesn't help at the moment. Hence the tranquillisers as I really need to sleep at least a little bit.

Thanks for your comments!

Hello Marj, ... all i can say is that you're in good company here. I've had the 'can't breathe' panics in the wee small hours. It normally struck when i was in hotels up and down the land with work. I just had to get up and go talk to the bats in the car park for a while ( the night porters have seen it all before ). Then when i thought i'd beaten back that little problem i started to get sharp gut pains whilst driving ... so there was only one thing for it ... yep, undo my belt and zip to relieve the pressure ... but then i got panicky in case i crashed and the paramedics would say ' oh well, if you do that kind of thing whilst you're driving what do you expect! '.

It seems that with this condition - the eebie jeebies as i call them - once you manage to suppress/beat one sympton then up pops another. Presently I'm entertaining imbalance/dizziness/ wooziness effects and sometimes you can't do a damn thing about it. But keep reading this forum and you might not find answers but you will find sympathy and understanding from those that know ... and thats a great comfort.

Hi suttree63, thanks yes it's good to know that even if some people around you just roll their eyes at these things there are others who do understand. I have always been an anxious worrier but this is the worst and my health anxiety is peaking.
    The driving story really made me laugh though!

Hi and welcome, sorry your having such a rough time what antidepresents have you been prescribed? X x

Hi Nicola1980, thanks it's lustral. I was very reluctant to accept any meds previously but why not try, if after a month or two it hasn't helped then at least I have tried. And some good news, finally got my psychologist appointment for Tuesday x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information