Thread: Effects of reducing from 30mg to 15mg - withdrawal or situation

Effects of reducing from 30mg to 15mg - withdrawal or situation

I halved my dose 6 days ago with the idea of getting off of this because I've turned into a bloater and changing to Sertraline. Been on it 6 months.

When I take 30mg I usually can't keep my eyes open after about 60 mins. The first day of 15mg I felt so much more awake it was great, the horrid stupor had gone, but have had full-on insomnia every night, feel like I'm wired. Also notice intense anxiety has built over the 6 days. I was awake until 4.30am last night in a very anxious state and in the end took the other 15mg. Today I feel like a zombie again.

I have a v. stressful situation going on as I am about to start a new full time job which I REALLY REALLY DO NOT want and hate the thought of but have to because of money, so it's a v stressful week - therefore don't know if increased anxiety is because of the situation or withdrawal.

Feels like the devil and the deep blue sea - either I am doped and less anxious, or unable to sleep but clearer headed.

Does this resonate with anyone? not sure what dose to take tonight

Re: Effects of reducing from 30mg to 15mg - withdrawal or situation

Do you think you might be taking a lot on at the moment? You have the stressful situation of starting a new job that you presently hate the thought of and at the same time you are trying to reduce your mirt dose.

Would it be possible to up your dose again and to wait until you are at least settled into the new job before you think about reducing again? Only you can decide, but it would seem the lesser of two evils at this present time.

Just a suggestion - when you reduce it might be an idea to do it in smaller increments - do 15mg + 7.5mg (cut the 15 in half) that will give you 22.5mg, stay on that for a while before you reduce again - it will be less traumatic on your system.

I hope it all turns out alright for you Eden - let us know how you're getting on.

Belle x

Re: Effects of reducing from 30mg to 15mg - withdrawal or situation

Thanks for yr reply Belleblue.

After 6 days on 15mg of TOTAL insomnia and very heightened anxiety I went back onto 30mg. Then crashed through the floor and had a horrendous 2-3 days of feeling I could no longer carry on at all.

Now feeling more stable (if sedated) - back to my practice tonight to see a different GP who says "no no. You need to alternate 15m and 30mg for 2 weeks then 15mg for 2 weeks then alternate 15mg and zero for 2 weeks... 6 weeks" - which sounds complicated but much more realistic. How can 2 GPs give such differing advice???!!!

Thread Information