Thread: New member

Smile New member

Hi there.

I'm Sarah, and I'm 19 years old.

I've suffered from Social Anxiety for as long as I remember, although not knowing what it was when I was at school.

It has now gotten worse, and I don't have many people to talk to. I don't get to do the things I want to do.

I am going to see someone to talk to, while I wait for CBT (which is up to a years wait!)

So I'm wondering.. What are the best sorts of medication for social anxiety?
    I want to stop the anxiety happening when I am approached by a person, or have to speak.

Any suggestions?

With love.

Re: New member

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear you're suffering right now and I can only say I understand what you're feeling because I have anxiety when around people too, I tend to freeze and struggle to get my words out properly, speech is muffled and I also tend to talk faster too in this situation, very horrible.

As for medication, ultimately your gp will have to assess you first before prescribing you the right medicine for your situation but I understand that citalopram is a common medication for SA but I couldn't get on with it myself... Your gp will know what's best for you and should give you the right meds for you...

Cbt will help too as I've had a number of sessions ..

Good luck and take care.

Re: New member

If you can do it with out medication its worth it. I used to be the same way. It can be like pondering on the anticipation of the situation. You know, I've read enough stories to think that recovery is different for each individual. I mean meds can help but, there's something causing your social decline. The first step I would take is talking to a cousilor. One that is really interested in your problems. They can build confidence. Also find things you can do to build confidence. I think that's a lot of it too. I used to worry about how people perceived me and me not being able to live up to there expectations. Try to be you. Remember your anxiety doesn't define who you are, it just covers it up. You have to find away to dispel the darkness and the only way to do that is to bring light to the surface. You have to fight it. By light I mean learning and by darkness I mean ignorance. You only give up when you stop wanting to learn. This is a personal battle. You have to fight everyday. One day you'll realize how strong you've become. Your already strong because you choose to fight. I really like the saying on the last rocky movie. "Life's not about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep on going, that's how winning is done" This is so true. We experience struggles and hardships in our life for a reason and the reason is ,is so we can grow as human beings. If it wasn't so, There wouldn't be any point in living. With out bad we wouldn't know good. With out hot we wouldn't know cold. I hope this helped you and you can post me anytime.

Thread Information