Thread: Have you ever admitted yourself to hospital for panic?

Have you ever admitted yourself to hospital for panic?

G'day,

I spent all day in hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack and felt weird and spaced out all day. I was sure that is what it was - I had never felt so bad, so weird and different like I wasn't there.

My heart was racing at 120-150bpm the whole 5 hours I was there. In the end the doctor did heaps of tests and discharged me saying that it was not a heart attack and not cardio/heart related???? I feel so confused and still feel faint - how could my mental illness fool me so much?

Have you ever admitted yourself to hospital for panic that you thought was heart disease? What was the result?

Re: Have you ever admitted yourself to hospital for panic?

I went to hospital in an ambulance today for it, for the 4th time in a month :S after not eating and sleeping its taken a toll xxx I know its hard

Hi Tilly,

The mind can cause all sorts of symptoms. The first time I had a panic attack I went through the exact same thing. I was in A&E for a few hours with my heart racing at 180bpm while they did all sorts of tests, but there was nothing physically wrong with me. Have you tried breathing slowly into a paper bag when you get palpitations? I find this helps to slow my heart rate and calm me down.

Laura x

Happened to me too, several times in the early days, even admitted me one night as they weren't sure if I'd actually had a mild heart attack, even administered warfarin just in case I had a blood clot too....how scarey was that, waiting for all the test results...only to find it was just anxiety and panic

It can be really frightening and you do believe something terrible is happening to you. I hope you are getting some help for your panics now and educating yourself about how your body responds when you have one. It's certainly not pleasant but with knowledge & understanding you have the power to help you cope better.

Good luck & take care, Kitti

Yes, I went to A&E after my worst-ever panic attack!

It was the numbness in my arms and hands that frightened me most, together with dizziness and feeling that I was about to pass out! I hadn't had these symptoms before.

It was explained to me that therse symptoms were all caused by the effects of hyperventilation! They also taught me about the breathing into a bag trick!

Thread Information