Thread: Citalopram sapping my energy and motivation

Citalopram sapping my energy and motivation

I've been on Citalopram for nearly 6 months, and gradually my motivation and energy seems to have been sapped from me. Last summer I was doing lots of exercise, and felt really motivated but since christmas I just can't be bothered for some reason.

Feel like its not me being like this, I'm normally quite a get up and go person but this medication just takes it out of me.

I might ask to get off it because whats the point in being on medication that makes me feel so lethargic.

Re: Citalopram sapping my energy and motivation

Yes it might well be that you've hit the wall with it. Maybe it's time for a change or to come off it as you suggest? Medication should always have a positive effect, if you're still not right after 6 months it doesn't sound like it's the right one for you.

Hi Harvestmouse,
    Really interesting to hear that..I've been on it just less than 6 months and feel similar. It's been great for me and got me back on my feet. However I do feel like I've hit a wall and although I'm ok and functioning normally, getting up, going to work, going out, I can't shake this lacklustre feeling, as though I'm just going through the motions. I'm scared to come off it though, as I don't feel confident enough coping with anxiety without it just yet. Cit feels like a safety net to me, it gives me confidence knowing that I'm not going to hit a low and can cope with stressful situations without crumbling.
    Good luck with the route you decide to go down...

I don't know if its done anything to me, when I went on it I was in a very bad state but I did become more stable but perhaps that was just time healing me and not the medication. I'm so fed up of this lethargy that I feel. I'm going to the doctors this week to tell her that I want to stop taking it.

Hi - what dose are you on?

I'm on 20 mg, and I don't want to up my dosage as I think that would only worsen the energy thing, I want to come off it, really not a fan of medication at all.

Quote Originally Posted by theharvestmouse View Post
    perhaps that was just time healing me and not the medication.
    It's hard to know isn't it? Have you had any other treatment at the same time e.g CBT / therapy? I've found therapy really helpful and am preparing for life after cit, when I'm brave enough to take the plunge!
    I think medication helps tide you over the really rough patches, but is just a quick fix, the cure has to come from ourselves.
    If you do decide to taper off, good luck and share your progress.

Hi morning blues, yes I had CBT about 5 months ago, I did find it useful, I've never been keen on medication but I just went along with Citalopram because at that time I was desperate to find help through any way I could.

I'm doubtful it has ever done anything apart from reassuring myself that I'm taking medication for my anxiety.

Me too - felt I had to take something just to get me up and running again as I didn't want to take more time off work. But I wonder if taking my foot off the pedal and having a decent break might have been just as beneficial - hard to say!

Thread Information