Thread: Are palpitations dangerous or...?

Are palpitations dangerous or...?

Hi, ok so basically I have suffered with anxiety for 2 years I am now 18 years old. Recently I've been stressed out with college and feeling constantly 'on edge' is the only way I can describe it. I feel extremely tense and for the past few days Ive noticed Ive been having palpitation and they're not doing anything for my anxiety its making it a hell of a lot worse! I was just wondering if these were dangerous as I don't know much about them and it is a new symptom for me, I'm slightly worried as I have chest pain too but I think thats because I'm tense and worked up. Ive always had chest problems since i was diagnosed with pneumonia 9 years ago, I had a heart scan and have had loads of ECGs since then. I eat relatively healthy I exercise daily, don't smoke don't really drink. But because my chest is tight and these palpitations are happening I feel more anxious than ever Im convinced I have a heart problem but deep down I think its just my anxiety, does anyone else get palps regularly like daily with their anxiety? And is it normal to feel it in your throat? Its quite scary! It'd be nice to know that I'm not alone. I wish their was a miracle cure for all those suffering with anxiety out there because I really do sympathise - many thanks danielle

Re: Are palpitations dangerous or...?

Hi. I have thousands of palpitations a day most of the time, though I am going through a good spell at the moment. No idea why they have calmed down. The general consensus seems to be that if you have had the appropriate tests, like an ecg, then palps are benign. They are closely linked to anxiety and stress and chest tightness is also a symptom of stress.

Two things have really helped me - Claire Weekes book 'Self Help for you Nerves ' and the All Experts Cardiology site. I even printed off the doctors answers which usually say that palps are benign if you have had the tests, even if you are having loads a day. Maybe having a 24 hr monitor will put you mond at rest?

Thread Information