Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My doctor has said I'm dependent on Valium

My doctor has said I'm dependent on Valium

I have been using Valium for about 4 years on an "as needed" basis. I do this to help me go out and enjoy a social life occasionally as I used to be a roombound agoraphobic. Anyway, I have changed to a new GP surgery as I've moved house, and they won't let me have Valium anymore because apparently I am "dependent" and about to get "addicted." Their words not mine.

I jot down in my diary when I use a Valium to make sure I don't take it too often. In May I have taken it one time so far. In April, last month, I took it three times over the entire month. I think the doctor is being totally hysterical but I have had two second opinions and they all agree that I should not be allowed it.

I have no history of addiction or abuse. Being able to have a Valium allows me to take risks and do things that I would not usually do. I have always been responsible with them. I have tried various antidepressants but Valium is the one thing that really does help.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I want to still be able to have the option of Valium on an occasional basis but I take it that those three opinions mean I am not allowed????
    Last edited by grotbags; 08-05-12 at 16:36.

Re: My doctor has said I'm dependent on Valium

Apparently there is a big "drive" on at the moment to stop GP's prescribing diazepam. Probably something to do with NICE guidelines??

It certainly doesn't sound to me like you are reliant or addicted to them.

Of course Valium is addictive its common knowledge however sporadic use really shouldn't be seen as immediately assumption you are an addict!!!! You use it for quality of life so ...............
    I'd say see another Dr! You are free (I believe) in this country to see whichever Dr you wish not bound by registering and having to stick with them!!

Hi Grotbags - the only other option is to see a private psychiatrist - I know some people on here do that? Drastic I know but that is disgraceful of the practice are they all young doctors. Could your previous doctor do a letter - you would have to pay - stressing your concerns. I know some on here see a psychiatrist without a GP referral and pay private for them - they are not expensive although you would have to pay for an initial consultation.

Sorry I cannot be of any more help but that is what I would do - I take lorazepam and would not change doctors for that reason - but moving house, is a different thing altogether.

You could always try another practice and see an older doctor they are used to prescribing them more.

Diazepam addiction is becoming a real problem in the UK, which is one reason doctors are now normally only prescribing it for short courses rather than all the time.

Another reason is that they would rather people try to come to terms and get treatment for the actual problem, rather than masking it with addictive drugs. A lot of people do use it as a crutch - take some when they need to go out, take some if they can't sleep, take some if they feel a bit stressed etc... which is the behaviour they are trying to discourage.

If you need the valium to get out of the house, then in a way this is an addiction, even if you aren't taking it all the time. It may be worth looking at alternative treatments for the agoraphobia.

We might as well get GP's to stop prescribing, codeine, morphine, tramadol etc as they just mask the problem as well.

Either see a private GP/ shrink or change doctors. There is a last resort whereby you fill in a health questionaire etc and a doctor remotely decides to prescibe or not..

Clearly you are not abusing diazepam, and I think these GP's are idiots.

I have to agree with Dan on this one - absolutely ridiculous - no wonder people resort to recreational drugs! booze and cigs! as this is what people are up against - most people need a crutch of some sort - we are only human after all.

Quote Originally Posted by dan1234 View Post
    We might as well get GP's to stop prescribing, codeine, morphine, tramadol etc as they just mask the problem as well.

Either see a private GP/ shrink or change doctors. There is a last resort whereby you fill in a health questionaire etc and a doctor remotely decides to prescibe or not..

Clearly you are not abusing diazepam, and I think these GP's are idiots.
    Absolutely.

I think part of the problem is while there are people who use it sensibly and occasionally, there are also an awful lot take it daily, and with something as addictive as valium that isn't good.

Most docs now seem to be sticking to only giving one or two weeks supply for emergencies, but there are obviously still ones out there who are providing long term prescriptions, but I have a feeling this isnt going to go on much longer

dopey doctor
    thay all jump on the band wagon stop this and stop that
    well iam on them and my dotor is fine over it
    he cant stop you just like that
    tell him to look in the BNF he will know what it is
    good luck
    god bless

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information