Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My doctor has said I'm dependent on Valium

Re: My doctor has said I'm dependent on Valium

The BNF says 2-4 weeks, for severe anxiety. Something like that anyway.

OP how long would 28 tablets last you?

Quote Originally Posted by mikewales View Post
    I think part of the problem is while there are people who use it sensibly and occasionally, there are also an awful lot take it daily, and with something as addictive as valium that isn't good.

Most docs now seem to be sticking to only giving one or two weeks supply for emergencies, but there are obviously still ones out there who are providing long term prescriptions, but I have a feeling this isnt going to go on much longer
    As of three and a half years ago I couldn't get a prescription for more than 20mg over three days once per month.

Having nowhere else to turn, and with an undiagnosed heart problem as well as suffering a nervous breakdown, I turned to alcohol.

In the end I almost killed myself through drinking 24/7 as the only alternative.

Now my GP and psychiatrist agree that 8mg diazepam daily - every day - is what I need for my anxiety, although by choice I have been able to get as low as I can, always - which is 1mg per day at best. For me it is not an abusable drug (unlike alcohol, which I still drink moderately, and when I wish to - on special occasions - to excess).

There is no way in the world that the original poster, from what they have said, has a problem with this medication.

If I was now back where I was when I was originally denied a prescription for daily diazepam - and knew what I know now - I would have absolutely no hesitation in finding a reliable online source of diazepam and self-medicating.

Wikipedia is absolutely correct that 'Diazepam is a core medicine in the WHO's "Essential Drug List", which is a list of minimum medical needs for a basic health care system.' And for good reason - it is a lifesaver for certain people.

The GP drive is all political, and almost all of them don't know what they're doing (not just with this, full-stop) in my experience, and I am sick of reading apologists for GPs and the NHS in general on this website.

It's a disgrace and if I didn't have so many other things to deal with in my life constantly, and had more money, then I would take legal advice and look at suing my (former) GPs for almost costing me my life by leaving me little choice (legally) other than alcohol.

Right, I am a bit het-up now so am going to go and calm down by cooking some pork escalopes for the family
    Last edited by mikewales; 08-05-12 at 20:41. Reason: Admin edit

Brilliant post - sorry about what happened though. 8mg diazepam isn't a high dose anyway... Do you take anything else apart from diaz ?

Dan

You might be mentally addicted or dependent on it but the same can be said for people who use antidepressants.
    I take mine very rarely , but I'm lucky my doctor knows I couldn't be phycsially addicted!
    You'd be taking them every day if you were full on addicted .
    I would see a physiatrist in my opinion they live writing outperscribtions

Eight - I wasn't saying it was right or wrong what they are doing, BUT... we all have to live within whatever decisions ( for whatever reasons ) the doctors, NHS and government make. In come cases this is wrong for the person involved, and in some cases it can be right as it can lead people to find better, long term solutions to whatever problems they have.

At the moment the NHS seem to have this big drive to get everyone of valium and similar drugs, which is why I posted to let the OP know why the doc has probably said this, not that they are particularly worried about them having an addiction.

Different people use different methods of coping with things, as you did with alcohol, but that isn't to say its always the best way to do things, even if it can look like the easiest option at times.

Have to agree with dan1234 and london here....I am also on diazepam and it has been a lifesaver for me. Without it I would probably be housebound too. I have used it on an 'as & when' basis for about 6 years and following a breakdown in November I have been on 12mg a day. I am now having CBT and I have very recently started to reduce my dose of vallium...my choice, not my doctors. I don't feel I have built up a tolerance or dependence. It has it's place in anxiety treatment and for many it is a lifesaver. I feel for you here grotbags, and I really don't believe you are addicted at all. I know a lot of doctors wont prescribe it, I guess I have been lucky. I suppose you could get your old doctor to write a letter as laura says, and as london states, I don't think they can just stop it like that. I wish you luck...let us know how you get on....I hope you have some 'emergency' stock in....

Kitti xx

Quote Originally Posted by dan1234 View Post

how long would 28 tablets last you?
    what the BNF say about comeing off them
    god bless

What Professor Heather Ashton says about withdrawal.....

(1) Consult your doctor and pharmacist. Your doctor may have views on whether it is appropriate for you to stop your benzodiazepines. In a small number of cases withdrawal may be inadvisable. Some doctors, particularly in the US, believe that long-term benzodiazepines are indicated for some anxiety, panic and phobic disorders and some psychiatric conditions. However, medical opinions differ and, even if complete withdrawal is not advised, it may be beneficial to reduce the dosage or to take intermittent courses with benzodiazepine-free intervals.
    Your doctor's agreement and co-operation is necessary since he/she will be prescribing the medication. Many doctors are uncertain how to manage benzodiazepine withdrawal and hesitate to undertake it. But you can reassure your doctor that you intend to be in charge of your own program and will proceed at whatever pace you find comfortable, although you may value his advice from time to time. It is important for you to be in control of your own schedule. Do not let your doctor impose a deadline. Leave yourself free to "proceed as the way openeth"

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by haz View Post
    Apparently there is a big "drive" on at the moment to stop GP's prescribing diazepam. Probably something to do with NICE guidelines??

It certainly doesn't sound to me like you are reliant or addicted to them.
    I think this is what it is. My current GP said that they don't give them out at this surgery! I'll be changing surgeries soon when I move house so hopefully I will get a more understanding doctor.

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LAURA48 View Post
    You could always try another practice and see an older doctor they are used to prescribing them more.
    That's an idea - an older doctor.

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mikewales View Post
    If you need the valium to get out of the house, then in a way this is an addiction, even if you aren't taking it all the time.
    I suppose this is what they're trying to say. But then that makes me addicted to my acne medication as well.

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Dan, Laura, Eight Days, London... completely agree. Thanks for the feedback. Doctor's attitudes can be quite brainwashing sometimes and it led me to believe I might have been in denial or something. The GPs at my previous surgery didn't mind prescribing this for me as they could see that I wasn't getting represcriptions very often. I suppose I'll have to wait and see what happens when I change surgeries.

Funnily enough I have considered aying a private psychiatrist, and I won't rule this out if my new GP surgery is a crap as my current one.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dan1234 View Post

OP how long would 28 tablets last you?

Not sure how long 28 would last. My last prescription was for 14 x 5mg tablets and I got that in a good couple of months ago. I usually take two of these but sometimes just one.

Not sure if I can suggest this, but I will anyway. Do you know anyone who uses diazepam who could give you a couple? If you are only using 3 a month or so, then it wouldn't be a problem. Seems a bit drastic going through all the hassle of changing GP's just because they don't prescribe benzos.

I take 12mgs/d - and am happy at this dose.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information