Thread: Panic without heart racing?

Panic without heart racing?

Hi all,
    I just wanted to clarify if I suffer from panic attacks. Today I had a very strange experience whilst sat in the canteen at work. I was sat eating with my colleagues and began to feel very light headed and warm. I felt a little angry at the time and thought about silly things like " what if i just randomly shout at somebody, what if i flip the table" I was aware that there would be consequences to this and don't know why I was thinking it in the first place. So I sat there and experienced what I would call a worried senseation throughout my body, my hands were sweaty and the canteen seemed louder than normal. This lasted for around 2 minutes, I tried to interact with my colleagues to take my mind away but just felt like running away from the table. I resisted and waited till the feeling subsided. I don't know if this was a panic attack because I have had theses episodes a few times but my heart dosnt race or dosnt feel like it is described in books etc.
    I was aware throught this episode but just dosnt feel like a panic attack?
    Any advice would be welcome

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

I guess no one Knows what it could be?

Re: Panic without heart racing?

i think it sounds like an attack just you sounded as tho you were trying to keep calm and ignore it so thats why your heart wasnt racing i find when i try to keep calm my heart doesnt race that much

It sounds to me that you have your panic under control, being able to stay calm stopped you from hyperventilating and your attack subsided.
    Well done!!!!!!!!!!

BobbyDog

I recognise that panic is there, double edged sword, no believing it could be something else like psychosis or somthing silly. Seems I need constant reassurance that I'm not going crazy. So, although I can control the panic to some extent- its the thoughts adterwads that then send me into a spiral of self diagnosis somthing more sinister! Grrr

My panic attacks are like that. Mine are much more mental than physical most of the time - mainly strong depersonalization. More recently I've had the really dizzy types of attacks, but I don't really get the heart symptoms very often.

cant believe how well you coped with that attack that`s where i need to get to i really need to stop worrying when an attack comes on and manage it like you did. when my heart races that`s it panic on grrrrr..

hey well done

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrustin View Post
    I think you should consult a doctor quickly. This could be a serious problem.
    I don't think your reply(ies) to this and other posts, which seem to be out of the same mould are helpful. Sorry. Many people on here have seen doctors multiple times and are seeking a little reassurance. Be gentle, it's not NHS direct.

Thats how my panic attacks are. I dont get the heart racing very often, mine is more the light headed symptoms

mandie x

Thread Information