Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is their Agenda?

What is their Agenda?

I will make no apologies for sounding suspicious but what is the real agenda with the NHS just now with diazepam. All they will do is create a large black market for it. They are refusing people it but not offering any better solutions. These other helpful things like CBT etc...are good but not always practical and you have to wait ages for them and it ends up only lasting for 6 weeks. I have been sober 6 years and feel I would rather be on Diazepam the rest of my life than end up drinking again. But as usual we have no real freedom of choice....rant over....

Re: What is their Agenda?

It causes long term health problems though as it is very addicitve so they do not want to end up treating people with those further issues.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Personally, I have never had any problems with my GP prescribing diazepam....I must be one of the lucky ones!! But it is such a shame, it can be really beneficial in treating anxiety and alcohol withdrawal and as you say....better than the booze....and I think we are all aware of it's addictive properties, but used sensibly......a lifesaver for some. Kitti

Thanks for the replies have to agree with Kittikat I know quite an number of people who have been using long term Diazepam in moderation. What long term health issues are we taking about?

Kindest Regards

Just find a GP/ shrink who prescribes diazepam and move on really. You can't force a GP to prescribe them.... Alcohol and cigarettes are addictive blah blah.

I dont think its a case of 'if I can't get diazepam I WILL have to drink instead' - deciding to drink to deal with anxiety is a personal choice, and obviously not a very healthy one.

There are plenty of people who manage their anxiety with other meds and counselling, and don't have to turn to drink, or very addictive drugs, which is basically what the NICE guidelines are suggesting, although it isnt perfect as the waiting lists for counselling are long in lots of areas.

It does remind me that someone I know ( who has experience of both ) said coming off valium was much worse than coming off heroin ! so it can show you how addictive the drug can be

I am afraid my view is not going to change. One boot does not fit all. I respect your experience and views but it does not apply to everyone.

@Dan1234.....Glad you have been lucky enough to find a GP/Shrink to prescribe...phew, that really makes me feel better.

Usually it is the older shrinks who agree to it.. The conditions to me getting diazepam are that I have a course of CBT.

Dan

Hi Dan

Apologies for sarcasm feeling frustrated just now with my symptoms. It makes sense probably an older shrink would understand life better and also that you are doing CBT as well. I have been prescribed Pregablin for anxiety. Might get a result with that. All the best with the CBT.

Steven

Well Pregabalin has certainly helped me --- Am on 600mg/d.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information