Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health anixety back, ladies only please.

Health anixety back, ladies only please.

Hi everyone

I've not been on here much lately as really been trying to keep on top of my HA and sometimes I find by not reading health issues it helps me keep it in check.

Anyway I've posted before about my issues regarding bleeding after intercourse and how it has ruined my sex life as it has been an issue I've had snce the birth of my son 7 years ago.

I've had a couple of dodgy smears mild abnormalities and had 2 loop excisions, I've also had cervical ectropion which was treated a few years ago.

Anyway I've always had yearly smears and my last four have been fine so I'm now back to 3 yearly smears, but I still have the issue with bleeding after intercourse.

I've been to the doctors that many times I've lost count and had pelvic exams, ultrasounds and my doctor has checked my cervix and all they say is I stll have a small ectropion.

It's not a lot of bleeding it's a couple of streaks after the event and stops more of less straight away but I can't get the cervical cancer fear out of my head.

The last doctor said she could see the ectropion and because I've had such regular clear smears and the ultrasound was clear she's not at all concerned, but I've googled and it seems lots of women have clear smears but still had cervical cancer so now my anxiety is in overdrive. I keep thinking I've had it for years and it's been missed.

To make matters worse I did some really vigorous excercise a few days ago and had a couple of streaks of blood afterwards, admittedly I think I was ovulating at the time, and I haven't had it since whilst excersising but that's also at the back of my mind.

Has anyone else had this, I just can't stop thinking about it.

Sorry for the rambling but my husband is just so patient and he thinks I just need to accept what the doctors say and move on, but I'm just thinking they aren't being thorough enough!!

Re: Health anixety back, ladies only please.

Hi Hun....

1 question : Are you on pills ie Microgygon? Birth control

Xx

Hi

No I'm not, I was after I had my son for several years, and that combined with the pregnancy hormones gave me quite a large ectopion, which they burnt away.

But I've been off the pill a couple of years and now the doctor says I have a small ectropion which she said 50% of women have 50% dont!

Apparently she said my cervix looks completely healthy apart from this small area which she said is what's causing my problem!!

Trouble is I'm just thinking they've missed something and there's more to it! x

Hiya

The reason I asked was that after my first I went on birth control and started bleeding about a month after between periods this went on for 3 years, I was so convinced that I had cervical cancer I avoided every reminder for smear tests....I stopped taking them 2 years or so back as my husband went away for work for 6 months and the bleeding suddenly stopped. I have finally now booked in for my first smear which next week although I am still worries about it

I'm not sure what an ectropion is but I am sure if your doctors are not worried then it should be ok...you have had smears and your records will be there....

Have they discussed anything about the ectropion and if there are any ways of dealing with it?

Xxx

Moved to the female issues forum for you

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi again

Well last time when it was quite large they burnt it away, but they did say it doesnt always cure the problem.

The doctor said it is small and she would only look at treating it if it got bigger, thing is because I've had a couple of loops on my cervix already I'm in a way reluctant to get it treated again.

I think if I could get referred to colposcopy then I'd be ok with it if they told me it was just an ectropion.

It's just this nagging doubt that they've missed something on my smears.
    Thanks or replying, glad to hear your spotting seems to have resolved, I'm sure your smear will be fine xxx

Hiya

I've just been reading into this and have found the following information which may out your mind at rest

Cervical erosion is related to the hormone called oestrogen and is common in young girls, during pregnancy and in women on the contraceptive pill. It should not be regarded as a sign of disease because it is frequently found in perfectly healthy women.
    Gynaecolgists now tend to use the term cervical ectopy and at one time it was called a cervical ectropion. The cervix is not eroded and there is no ulceration -*it is simply that the columnar epithelium is much thinner than the squamous epithelium and so the underlying blood vessels show through more clearly, making the area look red and raw.
    Cervical erosion is a completely benign condition and it does not lead to cancer.
    The vaginal surface of the cervix has a covering of layers of flat cells (squamous epithelium) (Figures 21.1 and 21.2). The cervical canal is lined by columnar cells that produce mucus. The squamo-columnar junction is where the squamous and columnar epithelia meet.

Another symptom that can sometimes be attributable to a cervical erosion is bleeding after intercourse - postcoital bleeding. In these circumstances, your doctor may offer to treat the cervix by destroying the surface. No guarantee can be given that this treatment will reduce or alleviate symptoms.

If your smears are normal without this problem I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about as they are looking for particular cells....

I really hope this helps

Xx

Hi there

I have had years of intermittent bleeding in-between periods and after sex and been checked thoroughly this is due to the cervix erosion but I'm not concerned as my doc says that it looks ok and my smears are normal, I'm sure you'll be ok it's just annoying having the sight of blood when your not on your period, I've just learned to accept it and have my regular smears!

Love

Jayne xx

Hi, I had a tiny bit last weekend right after ... went away right after I cleaned up, was fine the next two times we had sex. It was a little dry the time I bled too. Sorry for TMI. My last smear was Oct 2011, normal. Should I be concerned? Now I'm nervous when having sex.

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Also I am on the pill

Did you also write a post last night about it being red blood SW-?

I wouldn't be concerned at all if this was the case, brown blood/Discharge is old blood....The only time you would need to keep an eye out for anything is when the blood is bright red and a fair amount.

Intercourse can obv aggravate the cervix....I really wouldn't worry at all.....

---------- Post added at 06:32 ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 ----------

Sorry was meant to say you wrote brown blood...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information