Thread: Prozac - when did your side effects kick in?

Exclamation Prozac - when did your side effects kick in?

Hi all,

I'm currently on day 5 of fluoxetine 10mg (yes, it's a low dosage but my psychiatrist didn't want to put me on too high a dose just yet due to my age - I'm 17) after entering my second bout of depression. This is the first time I've been prescribed drugs for it.

On day 2 I felt quite anxious for most of the day. And I felt nauseous after taking my first dose. Other than that, I haven't really experienced any negative effects.

As I say, I'm only on day 5. And, I'm curious about whether I'm over the worst. I don't know what to expect.I'm pretty scared. My parents don't know about the antidepressants - they don't even know I'm depressed again. They weren't the most supportive the first time round. A close friend is watching over me whilst I start the medication (though I'm not really sharing my concerns with her at the moment because she is also very stressed), and I see a counsellor. But that's about as far as my support network extends. I also have my final A Level exams starting on June 12th, so I'm going to be stressed out in the next few weeks. So... I have some questions...

Obviously, it's different for everyone, but...

When your side effects kicked in, and what were they?
    How long did they last?

Also, do you think I should let others know about the medication and extend my support network?

Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks x

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

I'd really appreciate a quick reply because I'm currently freaking out a bit. Thanks

Re: Prozac - when did your side effects kick in?

hi, im on day 4 tommorow hun, i dont think ill be much help as i not even sure myself how im feeling i just know its not good... but i do know with prozac/fluoxetine its meant feel worse b4 it starts to feel better.
    id say try share, dont bottle up. ppl on here will always try n help but try n share with your close family/friends etc.. you know them n how best to talk to them etc.. im so sorry if ive not helped you. but like i said im day 3 today n cant really describe feelings but i know i feel anxious, low, scared n all the other bad stuff.. i hope you can find some comfort asap as sounds like you need it. please talk to someone.. your friend etc.. i know its hard sometimes trying to explain n put things into words. you can pm/inbox me anytime. love n hugs xxx

I never had any side effects that I noticed to be honest. We are all different I guess

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Prozac is a great medication for Depression. I took it 2 times in my life the only side affects I had: 1. appetite was a little slugish 2. Little Nausea the first couple days Other than that it was a great drug for depression. I was only taking 10mg both times I took it as my depression was not real severe. I also feel it is one of the safest SSRI antidepressants on the market as it is the oldest SSRI Good Luck

Thank you for the advice. It's much appreciated. I've decided to tell a few friends. Thanks x

---------- Post added at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

And thank you darksideofthemoon and Nicola, that's very reassuring!

over 3 weeks now and no side affects all panic attacks have seized and am back in work so stay with it

hi all ive been on flouxetine for the passed 26days at 20mg and i have more good days than bad at the moment keep up with the flouxetine the side effects will improve it takes 4 to 8 weeks to get the full benefit..if people ever want to talk please get in touch im more than happy to chat

take care everyone your not alone
    Last edited by jabba74; 29-05-12 at 16:40.

Thread Information