Thread: Neck and throat - reassurance please

Unhappy Neck and throat - reassurance please

Hi guys

My plea is no different to the others on this part of the forum but I need some reassurance please

For the last couple of weeks I have been having huge throat and neck issues. I have a really dry, scratchy throat and pains that radiate up and down my neck and into my throat - I guess they are like spasms but very uncomfortable and sometimes painful. During the day I barely notice any issues - but in the evening and at night it gets really bad. I also find it weird when I speak as I am super-aware of it and it feels like its therefore a struggle to speak. I also have the lump in my throat every now and then, but not always. Right now, as I type, I have the dry throat, a lump feeling, especially when I swallow. Last night I had the neck pains that woke me up, gasping for breath (although I have done that before with other anxiety symptoms). A couple of weeks ago I had a horribly painful shoulder and neck but it was at the back of my neck - now it's the front and that's much scarier! I'm constantly feeling my throat/windpipe/glands area and I have no clue as to what it should feel like, but I know that must be counter-productive.

Has anyone else had these symptoms of anxiety (I am of course hoping that's what they are and nothing grim). I am probably sub-consciously very anxious right now as I have moved abroad recently and the stress of settling in to a new country etc is maybe taking its toll? I have had anxiety issues for a few years now, so I know the score...it's just whenever I get a new anxiety thing, it's freaky...as you all have experienced I'm sure! I don't have panic attacks any more as I have learnt to control them but stuff like this sneaks up and hits hard and it's so difficult to remain rational. My husband doesn't understand and told me the other day that he is tired of it all (constant health anxiety) so, yeah, that wasn't helpful!

I'm not going to the doctors...I am a hypochondriac who hates going to the docs for fear of bad news so I sit and stew on it. I don't consult Dr Google either...that's self destruction!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Neck and throat - reassurance please

I have had a few of those problems but not all

Do you have large tonsils as well?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Neck and throat - reassurance please

I don't have large tonsils but I have had throat problems all my life. Now I often get sore tonsils but mostly I am plagued with post-nasal drip. I also have acid reflux so I'm sure that doesn't help with the sore throat.

Interestingly, tonight I have been ploughing my way through strong mints and while my throat is still a bit dry, the tightness and pain has gone. Still have a bit of a lumpy feeling but maybe that's dryness?

What symptoms do you get?

Thread Information