Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negative health adverts...

Negative health adverts...

Hi all,

I made a post a little while ago about the adverts that have been on tv of late.
    I thought that they were unnecessarily scare-mongering and although carried an important message, the delivery was way off imo.

Anyhow I received a couple of emails regarding the complaint and today i was sent the final conclusion which i thought some of you may be interested to read.

Dear Mr *****,

Thank you for contacting the ASA.

We have assessed the ad and your complaint but consider that there are insufficient grounds for ASA intervention on this occasion. Our role as an organisation is to help ensure that advertising is legal, decent, honest and truthful. We can intervene if an ad that has been broadcast appears likely to be in breach of the UK Code of Broadcast Advertising by, for example, being likely to cause serious or widespread offence, being materially misleading or risking causing significant harm.

Whilst I appreciate your concerns, we consider that viewers in general will see these ads as warning people of the risks of ignoring symptoms that can be related to lung and bowel cancer, such as the ones displayed in the ads. Ads such as these are designed to be unsettling, in order to make their point and to encourage people to think about their health, and the health of others around them. We don’t discount the unease this type of advertising may cause but generally viewers accept that public health messages of this kind may be hard-hitting. We also note that the ads include statements such as “...it’s probably nothing serious” and “possible signs”. On this basis, in the context of an ad raising awareness of cancer, we consider this ad is unlikely to cause serious or widespread offence or cause harm for the reasons you suggest. As a result, we will not be taking any further action on this occasion.

I realise this outcome may disappoint you, however we will continue to monitor the public response to this ad.

Kind regards,

David Humber

David Humber
    Complaints Executive

So in short, not enough people have complained... lol
    It made me laugh that the little clauses he quoted seem to them to be enough of a counter-balance. I really dont believe you have to scare people into looking after their health and i doubt there is much evidence that its worked in the past, there is enough fear in our society, maybe medical facts should be presented as such and leave individuals to take responsibility for themselves.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think about it maybe with your permission i could reply with some messages from you? in-box me if you would like me to forward your complaints on to him lol

Friendly, non-judgmental listener,
    Also a Huge fan of CBT
    Meditation & Exercise

A free series of audio downloads introducing mindfulness and meditation are available from HERE

Re: Negative health adverts...

My health anxiety is concerned with lung cancer at the moment and at first the adverts with the guy coughing made me very anxious.

I have forced myself to watch them every time they come on and now am being quite reassured by the content.

Knowing catching something early is way better than burying ones head in the sand has given me hope if my worst fears are realized.

Still not nice being bombarded with cancer adverts but it's only because I am hyper sensitive to this issue I zone in on them, also channel hopping increases the chance of seeing them so I think I may watch far too much TV

Steve.

Good post Connor.

I found the first advert quite worrying but mostly because I do have those symptoms and to be fair, it is pushing me towards plucking up the courage to see the doctor.

I should imagine GP surgeries have seen an influx of people after these adverts and I would guess it will be the medical profession that decides the fate of this type of advert moving forwards. For example, it might be proven that out of every 1000 extra cases of people going to see the GP with nothing wrong, there's a couple of genuine cases of cancer that would otherwise have been left. Or, it might have no impact on cancer diagnosis rates at all and just cause unnecessary worry.

I can't help feeling though that you do have to go over the top with this type of advert. Isn't it the only way to get through to people? The campaign has to be a "fits all" one to get everyone thinking. And if it saves lives, even just one, isn't it worth it?

On balance I do acknowledge the advert scared me senseless along with many people in this forum, but I understand with the ASA's response.

If it gets people to the doctors and saves lives then the adverts are worth it in my opinion. Prevention or early intervention can be vital.

---------- Post added at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:27 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by southey View Post
    My health anxiety is concerned with lung cancer at the moment and at first the adverts with the guy coughing made me very anxious.

I have forced myself to watch them every time they come on and now am being quite reassured by the content.

Knowing catching something early is way better than burying ones head in the sand has given me hope if my worst fears are realized.

Still not nice being bombarded with cancer adverts but it's only because I am hyper sensitive to this issue I zone in on them, also channel hopping increases the chance of seeing them so I think I may watch far too much TV

Steve.
    Hi, just wondered, do you smoke?

Personally the adverts do not bother me and it is interesting that they target the right audience in my opinion.

Over 50's for bowel cancer and with the lung caner one it is primarily men as well - as they are the worst offenders at seeking medical advice on problems.

If it saves just a few lives then it is worth it to be honest.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by haz View Post
    If it gets people to the doctors and saves lives then the adverts are worth it in my opinion. Prevention or early intervention can be vital.

---------- Post added at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:27 ----------

Hi, just wondered, do you smoke?
    No I don't smoke. I'm in the building game so worry about stuff breathed in on site over the years.

Steve.

I'm not surprise they ignored your complaint tbh. The benefits of the people it could save massively outweighs the small percentage of people who have health anxiety and may be upset by it.

I think you need to look and consider the bigger picture really.

No I don't smoke. I'm in the building game so worry about stuff breathed in on site over the years.

Steve.

Ah, I see. Well, that a fairly legitimate cause for concern but interestingly in your previous post you seem to realise that your fears are unfounded and due to health anxiety.

If you're having symptoms then a perhaps a visit to your doctor might reassure you?

Regards.

Haz.

Yes I know it's a legitimate concern. Have used masks a lot but it's the unknown that plays havoc with the mind. No symptoms at all Haz, have little to complain physically about apart from the mental issues it's just fear of the future. Before this it was fear of skin cancer, before that HIV before that something else and so on so I know I'm a hypochondriac

Don't want to turn this thread about me though, thanks for your replies.

Steve.
    Last edited by southey; 17-05-12 at 13:18.

Yes I know it's a legitimate concern. Have used masks a lot but it's the unknown that plays havoc with the mind. No symptoms at all Haz, have little to complain physically about apart from the mental issues it's just fear of the future. Before this it was fear of skin cancer, before that HIV before that something else and so on so I know I'm a hypochondriac

Don't want to turn this thread about me though, thanks for your replies.

Steve.
    Don't beat yourself up Steve. Hypchondriasis, or Health Anxiety as it is now more commonly known is an illness in itself.

Hope you feel better soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information