Thread: Numb tongue/tongue issues for past few weeks

Numb tongue/tongue issues for past few weeks

Hi,

I've had a few tongue issues over the last couple of weeks. I'M WORRIED SICK!

At first it felt like a kind of burning sensation, then I realised I was concentrating on it too much so I tried to put it to the back of my mind, however then I looked in the mirror and saw that I had a pink/red patch towards the middle of my tongue so I went to the doctors convinced it was tongue cancer. She virtually laughed me out of her office and told me to go and enjoy my life.

Over the next fwe days the red/pinky patch came down the central crease of my tongue so I went back, again she said there was nothing there to suggest it was tongue cancer and sent me away.

Today I have woken up and the left side of my tongue feels numb - I can feel my teeth on it and when I touch it, however the only way I can describe it is by sayign it feels numb, I then googled tongue cancer symptoms again and numbness of the tongue was there.

Has anyone had similar feelings without it being tongue cancer, I'm so scared and would like reasssurance please

Re: Numb tongue/tongue issues for past few weeks

I have a tongue issue at the moment. It started about two weeks ago. It feels like I have some food stuck to the back of my tongue and it is sensitive down the left side at the back. I havent been to the doctors about it because when I first had my Health Anxiety begin back in 2008/2009, I had exactly the same sensation and came to the exact same conclusion as you. I saw a doctor twice and a dentist once. Nothing. I was given antibiotics in case it was tonsillitis (even thought I know it wasnt as I had no symptoms) and the second time I was treated for oral thrush. Ill be honest, I suspect it was neither and time turned it back to normal. But I do still have that same fear. Ive been very good with my Healt Anxiety of late and Ive not seen a doctor since January and dont want to revert to continual appointments ever week, so Im going to be concerned but not panic, monitor the symptoms and give it another four or five days in case its something simple like a tonsil stone that I cant see or something random.

I know problem is diffrent, but our worry is the same. If you wish to use each other for reassurance, please get in touch and atleast we can compare our experiences.

Thank you, I too have been quite good with my anxiety lately and have not been to the doctors for a while -to then go back twice in a week!! It's driving me crazy with worry, and despite everyone telling me they're sure it's nothing I can't help but worry. It's reassuring that your tongue issue came and went on it's own and proves that sometimes we just have issues with our tongues for no apparent reason. The problem with me is that I always think there has to be a reason for something, i.e a diagnosis and when there isn't it worries me but you have proved there isn't always a correct diagnosis and it will still dissapear over time on it's own so thank you x

Well the toungue problem in 2009 came and went (cant remember how long it took), but the current tongue issues have been here for two weeks now. It feels like I have a piece of food stuck to the back of my tongue, like a popcorn kernel, but Ive not been eating popcorn. :(

Hmm I would go to a dentist as they are trained to dectect mouth cancer.
    It's rather rude if your doctor laughed at you :(
    You might have burning mouth syndrom caused by anxiety.

For over a year I have had a tongue problem in fact all my symptoms have been on the left of my body.... Just over a year ago I started experiencing a soreness down the side of my tongue that didn't go away. I saw 3 Dr's who both said there wasn't anything on my tongue I then went to my dentist who said the same thing but he said for piece of mind he would send me to ENT but he thought it could have been nodular.Well I went to ENT the consultant said there wasn't anything there & he didn't know why it was sore I was thinking the worst. However the soreness still come's & goes but where as before I was looking at my tongue all the time I stopped until today when it was sore I have a red blistery spot on the side & naturally now it's worrying me sick I may have bit it I'm not sure.The left side of my throat is sore as well so not sure if I'm coming down with something all my symptoms seem to get worse as the weekend is approaching it's very odd ...

Just to say that I've experienced a soreness at the back of my tongue on the left side, during a time when I was extremely anxious. I was panicking about it so much and kept checking it to see if it was swelling up, but it wasn't. It took about a week but went away, I put it purely down to anxiety, but it sure is a scary symptom to get and I understand how you feel.

Thread Information