Thread: I'm going to be home alone next week for a week, and not sure if I'll cope. Advice?

I'm going to be home alone next week for a week, and not sure if I'll cope. Advice?

Next Saturday I will be at home for a week alone, and I suffer from anxiety and health anxiety, therefore I'm worrying that I won't cope on my own. This is the first time I've been home alone since my anxiety started 2 years ago. Not to mention that I've worried about my health in general for a few months now. I was worrying about my heart health before, but I've gotten a little better since. I still think I may start becoming more anxious being home alone though. I live with just my dad anyway, but he's going away for a week next Saturday. He's staying in the UK, so I can still call him if anything is wrong, but I'm the type of person who doesn't like to worry people, so I probably won't call him.

I am 23 years old, and I'm hoping to move out once I've got a stable job, but at the moment I wouldn't be able to cope living on my own if I had my own place.

Anyway, would really appreciate any advice.

Re: I'm going to be home alone next week for a week, and not sure if I'll cope. Advic

Is there anyone who you could stay with or could stay with you? Even if it's only in an emergency if you can't cope?

Make sure any meds you take are in order and you have enough so as not to worry. Try and take care of anything that causes you anxiety before Dad goes away.

Is there anything you enjoy doing that you could organize for that week that will keep you occupied?

At least you can contact your Dad which should provide some reassurance.

I'm sure you will be OK,

Steve.

Re: I'm going to be home alone next week for a week, and not sure if I'll cope. Advic

I don't live with my Mum, but she lives 1 minute from my house. She was going away for 8 weeks and I don't have anyone else.
    I was scared before she went and at first I was not coping, as time went on I realised that I was capable of dealing with my mental health problems on my own.
    When you have no choice, you do get on with it and it makes you feel more confident.

You will still be able to speak to your Dad when you need reasurance.

Is there anybody else who will support you while your dad is on holiday?

If you need someone to speak to when he is away you can PM me and I will get back to you.

I have panic attacks every day, so I kind of know how you feel.

BobbyDog

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyDog View Post
    I don't live with my Mum, but she lives 1 minute from my house. She was going away for 8 weeks and I don't have anyone else.
    I was scared before she went and at first I was not coping, as time went on I realised that I was capable of dealing with my mental health problems on my own.
    When you have no choice, you do get on with it and it makes you feel more confident.

You will still be able to speak to your Dad when you need reasurance.

Is there anybody else who will support you while your dad is on holiday?

If you need someone to speak to when he is away you can PM me and I will get back to you.

I have panic attacks every day, so I kind of know how you feel.
    Hey thanks dude, I really appreciate it. I might take up your offer about the PM. I want to try cope on my own as much as possible, but sometimes I just get overly anxious and feel like I need to talk to someone. Problem is, I know I have my family, but I worry that I will worry them unnecessarily and I don't want to do that. Also, they can't really relate to it, whereas talking to someone who can relate to my health anxiety is a great relief.

Thread Information