Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diarrhea/loose bowel movements before and during periods

Diarrhea/loose bowel movements before and during periods

Hi ladies

I would really appreciate some feedback on this if you can help me.

I have read and replied to some posts about this before but would like to collate them here in one post if possible.

I appreciate it may/may not be related to stress/anxiety hence my asking.

My problem is that for 2-3 days leading up to my period and for a few days into it I have terrible loose stools/diarrhea. It has got so bad that I am having to take anal suppositories so I am able to go to work without needing the loo so much.

I have kept a diary since February and there is a defnite correlation to the point that I can almost predict when my period is due.

I have been reffered to a gynaecologist and she wasn't completely convinced about it and said it could be my Crohn's playing up but I know it isn't and my Crohn's consultant said that it was under control and was probably related to the periods.

The gynaecologist did say that the uterus could sometimes go into spasm that would upset the bowel and may cause the problems.

I am being referred for more scans as I have fibroids that I have had for a few years now.

If any female members are prepared to help then please can you make a note of whether you find increased bowel movements are related to periods as I would be very interested in feeding back this information when I next see the gynaecologist.

Thank You.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Diarrhea/loose bowel movements before and during periods

yes I get diarrhoea too when my periods come. If its period related it could be linked to something like endometriosis in the bowels.
    But my doctor said its quite common for diarrhoea when people have periods as period pain also affects the bowels and the bladder even.

Well I hope you get it sorted but maybe you could mention possible endometriosis and see what the doctor says.

Thanks Roxy for the reply.

I did have a test done where they put a tube into the womb and took some samples so maybe they were testing for that - not sure.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

hello
    i always find that i have to go more during my period and its different aswell to normal stools
    not much help hope you find an answer x

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Thanks Roxy for the reply.

I did have a test done where they put a tube into the womb and took some samples so maybe they were testing for that - not sure.
    Is that like a laparoscopy? because Im suppose to be having one of those but I keep putting it off.

So did you get the test results back for it? I do understand the pain and yuckiness of periods and its horrible but sometimes doctors cant find anything wrong and alot of women suffer awful period symptoms without anything to be done.

Has your GP put you on the pill? because that can sometimes help relieve the symptoms even though it hasnt done much for me but it does work on some others.

I hope you can get this sorted and feel better soon.

Yeah i've noticed i do go more when im on my period and it's looser, i just figured it was because everything sorta moves down a bit during the period, let me know what you find out.

Hormones, I get it too and about a week before my period i feel really sick.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRoxy View Post
    Is that like a laparoscopy? because Im suppose to be having one of those but I keep putting it off.
    No - this was done vaginally. I think a laparoscopy involves some sort of keyhole surgery.

The letter said "I attempted to take an endometrial sample which was very scanty".

The subsequent letter I got said "There was no evidence of any abnormality".

Has your GP put you on the pill? because that can sometimes help relieve the symptoms even though it hasnt done much for me but it does work on some others.
    They can't because of the heart attack I had 3 years ago - the risk is too high. They are just suggesting the Mirena Coil at the moment.

Thanks for the replies Emma, Pink and Honey as well

I get this a lot. Actually perfect timing, as my period is due to come today and I had quite bad diarrhea yesterday, and usually it does occur at this time for me. Endometriosis runs in my family, although I have not been diagnosed myself, my mom had it and doc suspected I may too. I have heard that if you have endo and it is on or near your bowels it could have this effect.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information