Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Diarrhea/loose bowel movements before and during periods

Re: Diarrhea/loose bowel movements before and during periods

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine1 View Post
    Oh Nicola, that sounds awful! you must be worn out.That pain is very wearing too.I had the mirena fitted at beginning of August(, don't think it's in right though) my info said that it does take a while to settle down. having my seond period and so far just as heavy as before. Supposed to go back to docs in week or 2 to check coil etc.
    I have my check the week after next so I will mention it then.

They don't tell us things may get worse before they get better do they?

Thanks for your post.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Serenitie View Post
    Yes, I get this too. My GP says it is quite common as hormonal changes and uterine contractions that take place around this time of the month can result in loose stools. I'm more prone to this as I suffer from IBS too. I hope that you get some positive results from your treatment as I understand how inconvenient & distressing this can be.

I find that exercising regularly in the week before my period can alleviate this problem a little as can eating small regular meals instead of 3 larger meals.

Good luck!
    I have IBS too so it probably doesn't help does it?

Thank you for your post.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Nicola, only just come across this thread but wanted to add..

Sorry to hear you have been having so much trouble

I always get looser stool before and at the start of my 'period' - I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago but kept my ovaries, I have very definite cycles and even spotting most months, occasionally an actual bleed. I have ibs, it seems quite common for it to flare up at that time of the month.

I have been getting quite bad low abdo pains periodically for years, more so since the hysterectomy. I had external and transvaginal scans done 3 weeks ago, nurse said she could see a collapsed cyst and my right ovary was 'bulky'. I have to be scanned again at 6 weeks too. I believe that a lot of my problems are due to hormone imbalance, probably perimenopause.

I have had the mirena coil twice, the first time I had no problems at all - I was bleeding when it was inserted, didn't have another period at all until a month after it was removed (2 years later). The second one was very different - I bled a lot, lots of pain. About 6 weeks in I had very bad cramps and decided to check for the threads - I felt very swollen inside. I then FLOODED - actually filled my shoes (sorry if tmi) and all I could do was try to hold the bottom of my trousers tight to keep it in while I struggled up to the bathroom! I stood in the bath and stripped off, it looked like a murder scene in there. I could feel something inside, so checked and I could actually feel the plastic of the coil - so I pulled it the rest of the way out. I think the whole problem was that it hadn't been inserted properly.

I hope this helps a little, and that you get some answers soon

Thanks for your reply.

Wow you had a bad time of things then!

The reason I did this post was that the two gyneacologists I have seen don't seem to believe it is related to periods but all these posts say differently.

I didn't really want the coil but have to give it a go I guess.

The bleeding has slowed down today after 2 weeks so I am hoping that things will calm down for a bit now.

If this doesn't work then I don't know what next but they say I have to give it 6 months. They don't realise how distressing/annoying/painful/inconvenient these things are though do they?

I will update after my check-up next week.

If you're anything like me, you just can't bring yourself to break down in the doctor's office - which seems to be what you need to do these days to get your point across - even though it feels like you actually can't take any more...

It's good that the bleeding is slowing, hopefully it will settle down and give you one less thing to suffer with.

I read somewhere yesterday (I google everything ALL the time lol, can't remember where I saw this..) about a woman who had suffered ibs/bowel/digestive problems for years - it all miraculously cleared up after she had a full hysterectomy. I did ask my surgeon if he would remove everything, he said 'no, you don't want me to do that'. Um, yes I did want him to do that! I have come to hate my ovaries....

Hope all goes well with the check up x

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information