Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Withdrawing from setraline

Withdrawing from setraline

Hi there everyone, I've just signed up to site, I'm basically going through setraline withdrawals and so far it's a living hell.I really am just about coping to type this post but really need support to keep going, it's been nearly two weeks and I have been bed bound for most of these days, I have been on different anti ds for over 15 yrs the latest being setraline 200 mg for past couple of years, the past few months I have been really nauseous from them so dr said to stop them and gave me new meds venlafaxine instead, so I did as told but have been going through withdrawals since, I have diarrhoea, vomiting, nausea, brain zaps, extra sensitive ears/hearing, constant banging noises in my ears, feeling faint, dizzy, chills, every time I stand up I nearly pass out, so I've just stayed in bed, my son has had to go stay with an aunty because I'm feeling too ill and unsafe to look after him, I just want it to stop, I don't want to give in and take a setraline pill as I've got through two weeks but so far there are no improvements, any words of encouragement would be appreciated, thanks x

Re: Withdrawing from setraline

Hello anybody there??
    A new week, I wish it was over already, feel so ill, I'm just hanging onto the fact that I've done withdrawals from paroxetine before and managed to get off them in the end even though at the time I didn't think I would. I'm two weeks in and feeling rougher each day, I just wish it would all stop.

Hi and welcome

Are you weaning yourself off the sert by reducing the dose ? Have you started the new meds? If you have, then it could be a combination of the sert leaving your body and the new med. Don't suffer in silence, go back to your GP and ask if they can put you on something like a small dose, (2mg) of Diazapam, just to help get you through.

Hi thanks for reply, I've been off the starling for two weeks now, I stopped them quite quickly so I know thats why I am feeling so bad, the dr at cmht, told me to stop sertraline and relaxed with venlafaxine, I did that for a week and I was so sick, that after a week decided against taking the venlafaxine and to stick at stop taking setraline, as I had already had a week off them, they had been makin me feel really ill for a while,, so I know these withdrawals are from stopping setraline too quickly, I'm just hoping as I've gone through these two weeks of hell, I'm at least maybe half way through the withdrawals, obviously everyone is individual and it might take me months to feel better but for now I'm hanging onto to that it might be weeks.

The withdrawals have been horrendous, I can usually stand most things but this has wiped me off my feet.

I cried all last night, the joint pains in my legs were worse than contraction pains, I didn't have any pain relief in the house, so I just cried and prayed for morning to come.

I still can't keep anything down.

I can't stand up without nearly fainting.

Ears pains and strange noises in my ears.

On a plus though the brain zaps have faded alittle.

My gp isn't very good and I will be changing practice once imback on my feet, I could call cmht but I don't want more medication, it's all just masking the problems, this is the first time in 16 years that I want to try and be med free, I don't know why I feel like this, but I'm hoping it's something positive for me, it's come out of the blue but I'm really hoping it's a real possibility, only time will tell.

Hi, bless you, your really having a bad time of it, i thought my withdrawals were bad but yours seem a lot worse, i really dont know what advice to give but to offer some words of encouragement to you, if you feel its right to stop meds good for you, thats what i feel like now, ive been on sertraline for 16 years and was sure i felt worse through taking them, more depressed more anxiety and the like, so 10 days ago i stopped 150 mg, i have tried reduction in the past but this hasnt worked so tried cold turkey, well i feel like im going through hell too but the symptoms im having up to yet arent as bad as what your feeling. I would say you have come so far so dont give in, your one strong person to go through this and give yourself credit for that il let you know how i get on and keep posting so can see how you are, best of luck

Hello everyone, I think I'm over the worse bit now, still a way to go, but the really debilitating withdrawals, like electric shock symptoms,confusion, vomiting, joint pains ave nearly all gone, I can live with the affects I'm getting now, hopefully they will disappear before I know it too, to everyone else going through withdrawals, there is light at the end of that long dark tunnel, stay strong x

I think I spoke too soon, so it's nearly a month off these tablets (200mg) sertraline, and I thought I was finally over it!!

Well the worst bits are gone, zaps,ear ringing,vomiting fatigue, which is a blessing itself.......but I've just got this on going nausea, I'm not talking just feeling sick, this is the worst nausea I've ever felt, constant motion sickness type nausea, from morning til night, it's debilitating, I'm back in bed lying down, can't eat/drink nearly anything, so feel tired and weak.

Rang gp to get a prescription for fortisip, which I will try and sip on to get some form of nutrition.

Will this nightmare ever end??

I wish I never had frigging pills in first place, I hope to never need meds again, frustrating because I want to give my med free life a go, butim stuck in throes on withdrawing.

Hi Gummymummy, how are you feeling now? I see your last post was 7th June so hopefully you're better x I've been completely off sertraline for 16 weeks now and am still experiencing awful withdrawals. I tapered very slowly from 50mg and it still make no difference. I've experienced waves of symptoms, aches all over, eye pain(which is horrid) migraines, tingling face, numb limbs, cramp in hands, hip pain, pins and needles, stomach ache, nausea, fatigue. Oh i forgot the panic attacks. Horrendous! I was prescribed sertraline for mild depression and only took it for 4 months so the theory about bad withdrawals being linked to the length of time you take it for is nonsense. Let me know how you're doing.

Hi guys and girls, I am also on Sertraline currently. I ran out over the weekend only having 1 tablet as I thought I had another pack. This had to last me friday, saturday, sunday so i decided i would take this one saturday. Thing is itis now monday and getting a doctors appointment seems impossible on a monday. I'm reading here about the withdrawals, if I was unable to get more tablets till tomorrow do you think by then my body would be feeling the full effects of withdrawal? If so how would I go about getting more tablets before then...?

P.S. Gummymummy I hope all is well now, if you wouldnt mind giving us an update that would be much appreciated

Hi. Can you not just ring and explain and ask for a prescription?
    The doctors I use have a computer system to make appointments and order repeat prescriptions. We order what we want and it is ready for collection in two days which usually works fine but when I was in hospital I forgot to order my regular prescription in time and when I came home on the Friday I realise I only had one tablet left for the weekend so I rang the practise, explained nicely that I was out of my medication and they made up a prescription for me to collect later that day.
    There have also been times when I have wanted a drug that is not on repeat prescription for me (anti biotic and anti sickness tablets) and have rang and spoke to my GP and he has immediately wrote out a prescription for me to collect without the need for an appointment.

As far as withdrawal goes you may start to feel some by Monday but this should go as soon as you take your medication on Tuesday.

Good luck
    Last edited by erin31; 09-07-12 at 17:35.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information