Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 weeks into prozac and still feel awful

4 weeks into prozac and still feel awful

Hi guys,

Any advice would be soooo welcome please!

I've been on prozac exactly 4 weeks now and still feel shocking. I feel incredibly tired all the time, but have insomnia at night. I feel doped up and just don't feel like "me", it's quite frightening. I kinda feel detached from myself completely. Still very anxious and lots of negative thoughts. Feel like i'm losing it.

Should I give them another couple of weeks to see if they kick in? Or should I be looking at changing medication.

Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks

Re: 4 weeks into prozac and still feel awful

Hi - what you are experiencing is completely normal - it does take time to work. Was on Prozac for 15 great years and remember the start up effects well - horrendous anxiety, exactly the symptoms you describe - promise you it will work - although took around 8 weeks with me 12 to feel brilliant.

Hang in there - do not change or up the dose - thought the same as you - this isn't working - what a load of rubbish but it was the best thing I ever did - stay on it.

I am on Citalopram now nearly 4 weeks into and feeling the same - as you are now. Only on this as Prozac stopped working last October after some trauma but cannot complain - it did not work for me second time around - hence the Citalopram 40mg - going through the side effects - horrid!

All the best Laura

Hi Laura,

Thanks so much for your reply, it's really reassuring to hear that you've been through the same and have come out the other side. I guess i just have to hang in there as best I can! :-S
    I can barely have a conversation with anyone at the moment I feel so strange.

Sorry to hear that you're going through the same.....let's hope we get through this soon and get back to living our lives!

:-)

Hi

Yes it is a horrid time - and you never think you are going to be "normal" again. I think all SSRIs are virtually the same in start up effects - although I did find Prozac worse - I have been more depressed and lethargic on Citalopram more than anxious.

Just want to sleep - am under a psychiatrist albeit private - at the moment for Pure O (OCD) has not been a nice time at all and am off work too! Am having to take a high dose fairly quickly to get the ball rolling, so to speak.

I echo what you are saying about getting our lives back but trust me on the Prozac front - you will benefit for sure!

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

I found the best time to take Prozac was very early evening around 6.30 pm as it is a very stimulating drug. That detached feeling is called dp - depersonalisation - anxiety is mostly the cause of this - very unpleasant.

That's not a bad idea. I'm taking it at about 1pm at the moment and may try it in the evenings to see if I notice a difference.

I'm off work too. I got an M.E type of illness just after Christmas and one of the symptoms is anxiety and depression (joy) but I've suffered on and off with anxiety for years.

Thanks for your help and advice

has taken me 8 weeks this time around. sleeping finally back to normal (except constant vivid dreams but I know that always comes with teh territory and doesn't wear off for me unfortunately). Feeling more normal and less "drugged up". At least 8 weeks though, if not more.

Yes completely agree around 8 to 12 weeks. Glad you are feeling better though - hard struggle though isn't it. Thank goodness for this site!

So tough isn't it. How are you doing on the Cit Laura, any progress?

How long did the anxiety side effect last? Any input on how to deal with it would be great.

I feel dreadful! 4 weeks in and unbearable tremors. Feel shaky' light headed and totally ditached. Hope to feel better soon. X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information