Thread: Distracting "End of the World" Anxiety

Distracting "End of the World" Anxiety

Hey Guys,

You guys have been such a great help to me, but now of course my mind is occupied with very depressing thoughts. As you may know, my previous problem was being scared that my anxiety problems were going to cause me to go looney and that I wouldn't be able to be a normal daddy for my 15 month old daughter. I'm happy to say that my anxiety has tapered off, mainly due to these forums and Claire Weeke's book.

Now, in the midst of all the dealings with the US and North Korea I find myself terrified that the world is going to end soon due to a nuclear bomb. I keep thinking that sooner or later we are all going to die because the world is going to break out into an all out war. And then once those fears subside I start thinking about global warming, and then I'll think about us having a major earthquake (I live in California), and then I'll think about terrorists killing us...the list goes on and on. And to tell you the truth, if I were single with no children I could care less. I mean, I don't worry for myself. I just get sad when I see my little girl laughing and playing without a care in the world knowing that it's all going to come to an end one day or that she's going to have much bigger problems later on in life becuase of the world chaos. Don't get me wrong, I love watching little Bella laugh and smile and chase our little doggies around and stuff, but the thoughts of the world ending really distract me from enjoying life to the fullest.

It also seems like more and more people are talking about the end of the world nearing. But this could be all in my head.

Please help...thanks so much.

“If you think growing up is tough, then you're just not grown up enough.” - Steven Page, Barenaked Ladies

I can relate to this...I went through a phase ehere I had terrible nighmares about floods

Hey,

I know how you feel totally. At one point my best friend was going to ring somebody because she thought I was losing my mind because all I could talk or think about was the fact that the world was going to end. The only difference between you and me is that my fears were completely irrational. Most of the time, these fears will go away, you'll talk yourself down from your metaphorical ledge of anxiety.

Your fears are possible. But wasting your life worrying about them won't help anybody. What will be will be; I know its our speciality here, but it's pointless to worry about them. Take care of your little girl, and remember that your fears won't happen, there is an almost non-existent chance of anything that you;re afraid of happening. If you can't disuade yourself of these notions, just remember that the best thing to do is fill the time you have with happy memories. We're all having to face mortality; the point is enjoying the time we're here. Have fun with your little girl, she sounds like an angel.

Let me know if you're still feeling worried. PM me any time, alright?

love katie xxx

"If I can wipe from any human cheek, a tear,
    Convince one man that hope and heaven are near,
    Create more joy, more hope, less pain,
    And though not one shall know my name nor drop a flower on my grave,
    I shall not have lived in vain while here."

Now with a full on war in Israel/Palestine my anxiety's have been hightened. I've also drifted off onto answers.yahoo.com and other parts of the internet and it seems like more people are asking if the end of the world is near.

On one hand this is causing me anxiety and depression, and on the other hand I feel like a total idiot and so stupid to think that our world is ending. With this thought lingering in my head, it makes it so hard to enjoy things. So, what is it...depression?

I'm also thinking I'd be better off not watching the news or "looking for problems" on the internet. It's kind of what we do with our anxiety and how it makes things worse, ya know? When we go search for symptoms and it makes our ordeal worse. You think it would be best for me to shut off the news and cnn.com for a while?

This feels so stupid....[B)]

“If you think growing up is tough, then you're just not grown up enough.” - Steven Page, Barenaked Ladies

Thread Information