Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magnesium and Anxiety

Re: Magnesium and Anxiety

Magnesium is very effective mineral offering relief to many conditions, like reducing muscle pain and fatigue or relieving anxiety.

It is also quite effective against headaches and migraines. It works best if taken with group B vitamins, especially vitamin B6.

One way to increase magnesium intake are supplements. However, in this case choose organic forms, for example magnesium citrate or chelate – they have higher absorption rate compared to non-organic forms like magnesium oxide.

My preferred way is to take magnesium as part of regular food. In that case the absorption rate and bio-availability is the highest. Here is a list with many magnesium rich foods: foodtips.org/magnesium-foods

Hi im a 22 yr old male living in ireland, told I had panic disorder and depression in 2009 , my panic attacks got worse and worse over the months, countles... I mean countless A&E visits and hospitalization for artial defibulation . Also 5 weeks in a psychiatrict hospital.

Magnesium saved my life. No doubt in my mind. Valium and ativan worked but I got hooked on them. Sertraline works temporaily but it just masks the anxiety, ur anxiety will re appear on them and the psyiological effects eg heart complaints, feeling of death will resurface and be much more intense.management of Anxiety + stress is all down to nutrition, and this mean supplementation with chelated magnesium. Today I take 800mg (which is only x2 of the rda) and I got my life back. Honestly, I wouldnt want to have lived if I would carry that anxiety hell daily. Educated yourself.

Dr caroyln deans book " the miracle of magnesium" buy it. (Amazon)
    Watch the documentry called " food matters" (netflicks +youtube)
    And finnally I use solgars 100 tablets of chelated magnesium , v, good company, its about 10 er a bottle. But its a small price to pay. Especially when you consider how much the hospital and counsellor costs! Peace and love

Paul

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

Also feel free to mail me if you want to chat! Word needs to get out there about magnesium

Pablo, how many tablets do you take? Are they 100mg tablets
    I take 150mg daily made by quest.

I would of thought 800mg to be a lot? Did you build up to that much?

Yes I take what i feel I need and if im streesed eg work/ life problems I make sure I take enough. If u feel too relaxed on them, drink a glass of milk, the calcium will counteract the magnesium in the bloodstream. Its that simple. You cannot die from taking too much magnesium. Ur kidneys, if healthy, will removenall unused magnesium salts from the bloodstream. Remember magnesium is a water soluble salt so it cannot build up in ur system like some fat solible vit as mins like A and D. 150mg is only like 35 per cent of your rda. U need more. In fact may people think even 400mg is far too low for todays high sugar and salt diets and stresses etc also I take chelated magnesium or magnesium glycinate bescause the mg salt id bound with an amino acid and much more readily absorbed into the body than citrate or oxide. Citrate and oxide should be avoided because you onlynabsorb very little and they give u the shits. Peace and love, paul

Sorry for bumping an old thread... just didn't want to duplicate something already on here.

Also, I'm not sure I'm even bumping it for the right reasons as I'm getting myself in such a state that I'm probably looking for a bit of a quick fix which I know is not the answer for anxiety.

I'm just wondering what experiences anyone has had with magnesium supplements. How effective it has been for your anxiety? How long it took to work? I get terrible pain in my rib cage muscles when I've got myself wound up. Would you expect that magnesium can help with this?

Thanks,
    Peter

Hi, I didn't even know this thread existed, and just last weekend I started a thread about the same thing...not that anybody seems interested in it though. I had been suffering with really painful cramps and my hubby had heard that magnesium was good for this, and when I looked into magnesium deficiency I was really surprised at how much our bodies rely on this mineral. I've only been taking it for 5 days but can already feel a difference to be honest. My blood pressure has come down and my 'missed heartbeats' seem to have lessened already.

The article I read was written by a doctor who takes 500mgs daily but recommends starting on around 200mgs which I'm taking. I can only see what further positive results might come my way in future, after suffering since my 20s and now i'm many years further on with health problems.

ISB x

Ah sorry I didn't pick up on your thread. Interesting stuff you've written there - was the doctor you read George Eby by any chance?

Also, if I may ask, what type of magnesium do you take?

Peter x

OK, so as I'm not on ADs at the moment, I'm going to take the magnesium route as I have heard good things about it and, personally, my diet could be better so I have little doubt I am deficient in magnesium (and probably other minerals too!)

I've ordered some Magnesium Glycinate off Amazon and will update my progress on them.

When I saw this thread I just had to register here so I could reply. I have dealt with anxiety, panic attacks, and agoraphobia off and on for years. Well... the last few months things started to get worse and worse, my blood pressure was high (and I usually run a healthy bp) I was feeling lethargic all the time, I could hardly get a good night's sleep, my extremities were tingly sometimes, and worst of all, I was suffering panic attacks every single day. After research, I realized that my diet was incredibly poor, I ate basically nothing that had magnesium in it, and I was drinking several diet sodas a day. Well, I stopped drinking soda, and I started taking 500mg of magnesium citrate daily...

My panic attacks, my anxiety, my physical symptoms (like tingling arms), my insomnia, my high blood pressure. All GONE. I mean... completely eradicated, and it happened almost instantly, like, the day after I started taking it. I feel like magnesium is a miracle.

This is a great thread and a great help

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information