Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new here - huge cancer phobia-welcome all advice

new here - huge cancer phobia-welcome all advice

hello everyone - so glad i found this - dont feel as alone and good to know that others know how dibilitating these anxieties can be. Over the past 10 years, I have thought I have had every cancer you can have, in the past 4 months I have gone from bladder cancer, to kidney cancer, to testicular cancer, and now I'm worried about stomach cancer. Logic tells me this is so irrational, but I cant stop shaking. Today I saw my doctor (whom I have been seeing for 15 years and trust deeply)and he assured me I dont have stomach cancer - felt great after the appt now I'm shaking again cause my stomach wont stop hurting. I wish I could stop this cycle - I want my life back. Seeing a counselor and on some medication but no relief yet. Thanks for listening.

Hi Kevin,
    Welcome to the site. I, too am a cancer worrier; although, my fears lie more in the neurological arena brain tumors, etc. Stomachaches are a classic symptom of anxiety. So many people have them. Think about it, stress causes us to tense everything, which is why us HAers have so many random aches and pains. Problem is, what most people would chalk up to "normal" things, cause HA people in their hyper body awareness to be convinced they have some some deadly disease. Please don't feel like I'm discounting anything you're saying as I do EXACTLY the same thing. I just want to let you know that you're not alone, and the problems you're having are most probably related to anxiety, rather than stomach cancer. Take care.

xxx
    April

Hi KevinM,
    Even though I can't offer any advice about this particular phobia, having never experienced it for myself, I just wanted to assure you that you're amongst friends here. From what I have learned in my short time since joining this site, everyone cares about each other and any phobia/query/problem/insecurity will be taken seriously no matter how great or small - that's a silly thing to say really cos we're all here with the 'great' rather than the small but I hope you'll know what I mean though?
    Welcome 'home'
    Best Wishes
    B Wolf
    xxxx

brentor_wolf

hi,
    i am a new member too and also worry a lot about having cancer. as you can see you are definitely not alone. i would recomend sophie's posting (if you haven't read it already) about what i now call 'reassurance-addiction'. also the article here about health anxiety Health Anxiety was something i found very helpful. if you manage to get some rest i am sure your stomach will eventually stop bothering you. all our stomachs are like that here!
    lewis

Try and join a cbt group. They have several exercises that help teach you how to interrupt your thoughts and build new pathways with more objective less upsetting thoughts. I recently finished my group and it has been life changing for me thus far. The tea form thought countering exercise is really simplistic but amazingly effective. Good luck!

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> also the article here about health anxiety Health Anxiety </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    I've just read this - what a great article - and so true.

KevinM. I too have cancer fears ever since losing my dad two years ago. Now every ache or pain I get, I think I'm getting cancer, however by coming on this site and learning that I'm not alone, does help.

Just to add, when my brother gets stressed, he gets terrible stomach pains. The brain is a very powerful organ and somehow capable of mimicing many illnesses when we're stressed, ie tingling, aches, pains

Hi Kevin,

I also suffer the cancer phobia. I've had health anxiety for over 10 years. Just like you I've diagnosed cancer in all parts of my body from my head to my toe.

Hope we can be of some help to each other

Take Care

Mandy

xx

I too suffer from "that" phobia. See I can't even say the word. One day I sat down and made myself a list of every type of cancer I think I've had. It was eye opening to see the list; basically every part of my body. Yet to this day I still continue to have those fears with every twinge I feel. Its something I've come to live with as difficult as that is. I do find that when I ocuppy my mind with other more productive things, working out, etc that those fears and symptoms disappear.

Hi Kevin, as you can see you are not alone. me too, if I have anything remotely wrong my immediate though is cancer. I've had all sorts!!! But i am still here. As has been said the brain is very powerful and can create things from nowhere, never mind the symptoms of anxiety/fear and panic, no wonder your stomach is so sensitive.

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

This is all sounds eerily like me. I had every cancer in the book and it is amazing how our minds can take over and drive us into phobia mode if we let it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information