Thread: Afraid to take the dog out

Afraid to take the dog out

My agoraphobia is quite bad at the moment but I can manage to take the dog out with my husband,the thing is he is working away for 5 days and i'm finding it really hard to cope. I'm shaking and feeling dizzy thats before I leave the house,it does't help that I have had an upset stomach for the last week so I'm feeling weak anyway.It's got so bad I'm wishing we didn't have the dog and I love him very much.Any advice would be welcome.

Re: Afraid to take the dog out

I have 2 big dogs, and although im not agoraphobic, i cant actually walk them on my own, so when my hubbies away, i just make sure i play lots of ball games in the garden with them...
    Do you have a garden?, or is it a case he needs to go out for a walk to go toilet?
    You dont have to walk far, just round the block , stay close to house if you need, youll be fine... you wont pass out, although it feels that way, anxiety causes high blood pressure, and its low blood pressure that causes you to actually faint

If you didn't have the dog would you even try to go out?
    It's good you have him as at least it helps remind you that you need fresh air too.

Staying inside seems easier but if you stop going out it will be harder and harder to go out next time.
    You do want to go out! It's just the anxiety that makes you think that you don't.

Have you tried CBT therapy and exposure therapy?

i have three dogs ,,and i know if it wasnt for them id not try half as much as i do,,i get up some mornings feeling like i just cant even leave my bed,,everything hurts,,im panicky,,the heat atm makes this ten times worse,,yet i push myself to take all three out one at a time and three times a day,,its hard i wont lie,,some days i lay back down on my bed after reading or go on the computer, but i also know the dogs bring me such love and comfort that i will keep going out for them they are worth all my struggles as your dog is too,,make sure you have your mobile if you have one and also think to yourself its only a short period out of your day then you will be back home again ,,you can do this you know you can x

I developed agoraphobia 3 years ago and at my very worst, I could barely get my dog around the block whereas before I used to be able to walk him across the fields near me. Looking back, although I went through hell whenever I took him out, if it wasn't for him I would have given up and never gone out. I look on him now as my saviour. I know exactly what you're going through, and although it doesn't seem like it at the moment, try to regard taking your dog out as something positive in the step to your recovery (and you WILL recover, no matter how long it takes), rather than something to dread. Three years on, I am now able to walk 10 minutes into town, and around the shops, something which back then I never thought I would ever be able to do again. It really was only by daily having to take my dog out, and when I felt comfortable, taking him a tiny bit further whenever I could, that I am at this stage now. Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up or feel guilty about not being able to take him far, the fact that you are asking for help shows that you don't want to give up, which is the first positive step. So although it doesn't feel like it at the moment, please believe that you won't always feel as bad as you do now. And remember, your dog will turn out to be your saviour, I promise you. Good luck.

well said as always sedalia

Thank you Teez. You know, when I first started reading this forum when I developed agoraphobia, your posts always made me laugh and see the humour in this hellish affliction and you got me through many a bad time, so thank YOU. The one post that always sticks in my mind is the one about an agoraphobics meeting and how bizarre we'd all look coming out of the building, clutching the walls in dizziness. That was the first time I managed to literally laugh out loud at agoraphobia, and I hope that many other people will be able to laugh too, even tho it's probably the last thing they feel like doing x

My hubby went away for the weekend, I was dreading it. I worked out how many times I had to take the dog out, whilst he was away. Every time I took the dog out I just thought that's one less. Great achievement when he returned! You can do it too! Take care x

awww thanks hun my sense of humour can get me in trouble at times its just my way of coping with an illness thats hard work and filled with sadness,,but even i have to laugh at its eccentricness,,i mean my hubby hates shopping yet he has to nag me to go,,and im the one who just grabs things so you can hurry out the shop,,he says holding up tee shirts what about this , yes dear thats good now get it and lets go,,who else but an agoraphobic on a mission hides down an aisle when they see a friend cos they might want to stop you and talk,,
    dog walking for instance why is it your dog wont go to the loo when your having your worst day right till the last minute,,and they always seem to want to go out twice as much on your bad days,,or when its hot which sets me off every time ,,soooo i have taken to soaking my head under the cold tap before i take them,,which must look lovely as ive streaks from my eye make up and dripping hair in my eyes and every time i either bump into a neighbour who i swear thinks im a bit doo lally at best stark raving mad at worst rofl,,

Thread Information