Thread: I can't carry a conversation

I can't carry a conversation

Hello,
    I barely talk in school. I'm in highschool, and i only have one friend in school that i'm comfortable talking to. I've never been able to make friends in grade school or middle school. Whenever someone tries to talk to me, I just get all nervous and scared and i can't think of anything to say. I usually end up saying "yeah" or "i know" then staring off into space so the person will leave me alone. I usually read a book or something when all the other kids are talking. And i don't have any classes with the one friend i have. One of my teachers said i have Selective Mutism, but im not sure what i have. Several times i've told my mom about this. She thinks i will grow out of it. I've asked her to get me a therapist, but she hasn't yet. I'm kind of depressed and lonely. What should i do?

Re: I can't carry a conversation

Have you been to any therapy?

Seems like you have social anxiety, you get nervous and then don't know what to say.
    It's not something you grow out of, although you might improve with your social skills as you age.
    You need therapy really to help you.
    I suggest asking your school or better even your doctor about what options you have and what help you can you get.

I've a family member aged 16 who just started therapy for her social anxiety.

Re: I can't carry a conversation

Hello Andy I would like to say that teens can be very uncomfortable in social settings, mostly teens that do not feel good being extroverted, my son is an introvert and needs his time thinking about things. He is 19 now and still needs time away from the crowds. He seen a therapist because he felt abnormal and this made him anxious and depressed/ It helped him learn that being a introvert is OK and needing to have time a lone is great to. Also he has self esteem issues from not interacting with people verbally but as he accepted who he is as ok he then started to pick and choose when he was comfortable being with his friends. It takes time and support but you are beautiful in whatever way you are happiest to live.

Thread Information