Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i AM an alcoholic

i AM an alcoholic

hey so ive been drinking past 3 years, wake up have a can of larger, have about 2 at dinner time, have 8 at night, i drink in morning toget rid of the shakes,sweats and belly cramps, im deciding on quiting today, cold turkey, no drink atall my girlfriend has had enough and so have i, im going to doctors tonight, ive done some reading on the net, and librium seems to be good to take the edge off the withdrawl symptoms, after i explain my situation to the gp can i ask to go on librium?

many thanks for reading x

Re: i AM an alcoholic

Hi Fanta,
    Well done for admitting you have a problem. Yep Librium will help but there's no totally painless way. Stopping is one thing, staying stopped is another so maybe consider AA. Good luck.
    Baggs.

Hi fanta

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Fanta

Well done on recognising the problems and congratulations on deciding to do something about it. I have very close experience of what you may be going through right now and it's a brave and brilliant step.

Yes, good idea to get yourself to the doctors as it's not always recommended to do a DIY detox. Tip for today - try drinking coca cola or lucozade as you will get sugar cravings and may misread that as alcohol craving.

I would STRONGLY recommend you go to a local AA group. Don't be put off by the god stuff - it goes much beyond that, and it's just a word they use to describe something. I would strongly urge you to call AA now and speak to someone to help you through the first day or two. Remember, one day at a time. You don't have to aim to give up booze - you are just aiming to not have an alcoholic drink TODAY. Hopefully tomorrow, you will do the same.

I would also recommend that your girlfriend looks up AlAnon. They are the support group for friends and family of alcoholics. She will get a lot of help and advice on dealing with her own issues and reactions around your drinking and also on helping her to cope while you detox and become 'clean and serene'.

Oh, I so wish you all the love and luck as you start this journey. The going may get tough, but take all the advice and help and support you can and the end result will be worth it.

great big hugs to you.

LRH

if i ask my gp to prescribe me librium will he? i went to docs bout year ago and she said just cut down and i cant, ive tried just cant do it i think i have to cut it out completley prob forever, and i think librium will help dull the withdrawll part

Quote Originally Posted by fanta View Post
    if i ask my gp to prescribe me librium will he? i went to docs bout year ago and she said just cut down and i cant, ive tried just cant do it i think i have to cut it out completley prob forever, and i think librium will help dull the withdrawll part
    I don't know the answer to that as it will be between you and your doctor. I should think he will though as I think it's fairly standard to prescribe it.

If you told your doc that you are an alcoholic and if your doc told you to cut down then your doc is a fool. Whether such a fool will give you librium is anyone's guess. I would change docs immediately.
    Baggs.

He may do, go in and be honest about how much you drink and how often, and that you have tried cutting down, and can't. He will be able to suggest the best course of action for you.

sorry i forgot to mention i changed docs, i moved so i had to

I'd definitely say you need some support to stop drinking. We drink for different underlying reasons, but the end result is alcohol dependence however we try to think of it.

Like many other things on this forum I can relate to you, having been alcohol dependent for about 12 years until 4 years ago, when I really wanted to stop..a trip to the doctors and Citalopram helped me greatly, but that was me.

Definitely go to the doctors, and maybe consider taking someone if there is someone who you trust and knows about this. It helps if like me (and others) you tend to appear better than you are when confronted with a doctor..this needs complete honesty to enable you to get the assistance and support you sound like you might need.

Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information