Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help!!

help!!

HI THERE,

I WONDERED IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME, MY MUM HAS BEEN HAVING PANIC ATTACKS FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF YEARS, SHE SEEMS TO HAVE GIVEN UP ON LIFE, SHE WON'T GET OUT OF BED, HASN'T EATEN ANYTHING FOR 4 DAYS, NO MATTER HOW MUCH I TRY TO MAKE HER EAT SHE'S NOT HAVING ANY OF IT, DOCTORS JUST KEEP SAYING THERE'S NOTHING WRONG, AND FOBBING HER OFF WITH MORE PILLS, THAT JUST SEEMS TO MAKE HER WORSE. SHE ISN'T DRINKING ANYTHING, IF SHE DOES ITS MINIMAL, THE MORE ME AMY DAD TRY THE MORE WE GET PUSHED AWAY AND SHOUTED AT.
    SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, ADVISE ME ON WHAT TO DO.
    THANKS

Hi tuckshop - glad to see you have posted here as I am sure a lot more people will offer advice now. The FAQ section cannot really answer such queries in great detail as the reply is limited in size.

It seems to me that she needs more emotional support than just drugs. The doctors are not helping her by fobbing her off with new pills. She would benefit more from some counselling of some sort.

Would she get out of bed to go the doctor's and ask for some support/counselling?

Nicola

Hi Tuckshop,

How awful for you both to see her like this. She's probably got a severe depression kicking in here. Many people will term this period of non functioning - a nervous breakdown. Many people have them and fully recover speedily once they're being treated appropriately.

On a physical level for her you need to get in contact with her GP soon and get them to come out and assess her - hydration wise and nutritionally as she will develop electrolyte imbalances that can potentially get dangerous if she continues not to drink or eat at all.

For the panic and depression she also needs to be professionally assessed. I would push the GP to do an urgent referral to your local community psychiatric team who will visit fairly speedily for someone like her. Every area has a team so don't get fobbed off.

If you don't get any joy from your GP team ring NHS Direct and explain the severity-especially the non drinking bit- usually gets people moving.

It is possible that if she continues like this she may need to be admitted to sort out meds and get her on a schedule.

If she's still shouting at you then remove any potentially dangerous objects from where she is and keep dropping in on her room very regularly but make them shorter visits so not to upset any of you so much. Try to put some happy family photos within sight and when you're in there don't argue/plead with her - insist on talking about positive things. She can just listen whilst you and Dad talk if she doesn't want to join in.

It's a very tough time for you all. Let us know how you're doing.

Meg

HI ALL,

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLYS I DO AGREE SHE NEEDS TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE MORE PROFESSIONAL, I'M JUST GOING TO HAVE TO CONVINCE HER THAT ITS A GOOD IDEA, THANK-YOU VERY MUCH.
    SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT SHE VENTURED OUT OF BED THIS MORNING, AND SAT ON THE SOFA DOWNSTAIRS, SO MAYBE THINGS ARE CHANGING.
    THANKS AGAIN.

Tuckshop

That is good to hear. Just try to keep her busy and give her support and encouragement.

I would still take Radar's advise on getting some help for her though.

Let us know how it goes.

Nicola

Hi tuckshop
    Just a few encouraging words.
    I went through a stage where i wouldnt leave the bedroom, couldnt bear to talk to anyone, i wouldnt eat and would only sip minute bits of water and i lost about 2 stone in 3 weeks! Everyone was so worried but i wouldnt listen or get help. My mum started buying me "fortisip and fortijuice" from the chemist which i think are drinks with vitamins etc in them which at least got me getting some nutrition.(i panicked when i swallowed and was too fed up to bother so my mum even came round with home made stews which she blended up like baby food to get me to swallow something). I wouldnt listen to my husband or family and it was only a close friend who eventually coaxed me out of bed.
    Now I am on the road to recovery and with a bit of help from medicaton and councelling i am now able to go out on my own sometimes and am considering finding a job.
    So you see it can get better!
    Love Sarah
    xx

hi tuckshop
    take each day as a new day dont rush her please believe me some times trying too cope with a small problem like locking the door is a big step,take it easy,ive heard all the well you could do that before why not now,time and talk is the best,and please dont think any thing is silly ,too her it is not.
    bish

HI ALL,

MANAGED TO GET MUM TO DOCTORS FOR BLOOD TESTS, HOPEFULLY SHOULD GET RESULTS BACK SOON, MAYBE THAT WILL SHINE A LIGHT ON THINGS.
    THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE, IT'S VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Hey Tuckshop,

Glad to hear that she's up and about, hopefully feeding herself too a bit better.
    We look forward to hearing how she is and how you and Dad are doing too.

Meg

hi tuckshop
    glad too hear your mums had tests how are you,did you no if your mums over 70 she can have free transport too the hospital also if she has a disablity she can have DLA and you can get carers allowance for her.
    bish

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information