Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: first time taking propranolol?

first time taking propranolol?

hi everyone, I went to the doctors today after deciding to get some help with my anxiety issues as it was preventing me from doing many things that I wanted to, my GP prescribed be propranolol, only 10 mg to be taken twice a day but I really have barely ever taken any kind of medication aside from paracetamol, so I am very nervous about taking it... the doctor said that she wanted to start me on just 10 mg because I am only 16 and see where it goes from there.. are there any common side affects? would love to know any info on it so I don't start panicking over feeling funny or whatever.. any responses would be great! thanks a lot, oh and also I am going back to school on Wednesday so want to be aware because I tend to get even more anxious in environments other than home and don't want to be panicking on first day back as to how these will affect me!
    x
    Last edited by ImogenX; 04-06-12 at 18:55.

Re: first time taking propranolol?

Hi,

10mg is a very low dose. Not sure how they work really - think they block adrenaline release. They are helpful for some people so see how it goes.

I took 40mg daily when I was 17/18 so don't worry about the age.

Dan

Hi Imogen, I was prescribed 80mg slow release propanolol last week and haven't noticed any side effects. I take them in the evening and they seem to be doing a really good job at stopping all the physical feeling of anxiety I get in the morning, like a churning stomach and racing heart. Some people have difficultly sleeping when taking them at night but I haven't experienced any problems. For the first few days I could feel them wearing off when my next dose was due but so far, so good.

I take the 80mg slow release once a day, and have done for two years. They are very good, and the only thing I notice is having a little less energy, so they slow me down a bit. That is no bad thing in my view for anxiety / panic disorder.

On a small dose like you have been given, you probably won't even notice any difference apart from it blocks any adrenaline response, which is usually the start of a panic attack, so is very helpful in that way. by doing that, people feel less of the physical symptoms such as racing heart, shaky hands, sweating.

You will be fine, I take 10mg and it just takes that edge off. You don't feel your heart slowing or anything scary like that. Good luck

Hi Imogen,

I've been on propranolol for many years, started on the same dosage as you then moved to 20mg x 2 a day and now on 40mg x 1 a day.

I've never had side affects taking this med, not that I know of anyway.

10mg is a low dosage and I'm sure you'll be ok taking them.

Take care

Thanks for all of your replies, had my first tablet this morning and I am feeling fine, going to take my next one later. You all successfully managed to put my mind to rest so thank you! Will let you all know if there are any complications but I doubt that, doctors were saying that they are going to up my dosage aslong as I stick to this for a month and it is helpful, so hopefully I will have no issues! Thanks a lot! x

Are you under the care of CAMHS or your GP? Have you discussed CBT or a SSRI type medication. Given your age I would weary of SSRI's.

Dan

my GP... sorry very new to all of this, what is CBT and SSRI?

CBT is a talking therapy.... would be a good idea because of your age.

SSRI is a group of medication used for anxiety/depression/panic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information