Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: first time taking propranolol?

Re: first time taking propranolol?

oh yeah my GP mentioned referring me to some mental health councillor type thing which would be free because I am still in school but haven't heard anything since!

Okay CBT is like going to see a counsellor but they will tell you about anxiety and panic attacks and show u how & why they work & teach coping methods.
    They teach u not to think what if all the time & think positively & as much as people say talk therapy is useless its actually pretty good , if you let it help u it will.
    SSRIs are a group of antidepressants (don't freak out , they're used for anxiety aswel) they are a newer group of anti d's and the most popular are Prozac, citalopram & Zoloft
    There are also another grup of anti d's called tricyclic antidepressants , the most popular is amitriptyline , these are an older group of anti d's
    There are also a group of meds called benzodiazepines , they are brilliant for anxiety/panic but can be addictive if overused , most popular names are Xanax , diazepam , clonozepam & lorazepam.
    A GP is your doctor sweetie , it stands for general practitioner.

I think if you wanted an antidepressant your doctor would go for Prozac, based on your age. Forget about getting any benzo's.

Quote Originally Posted by dan1234 View Post
    I think if you wanted an antidepressant your doctor would go for Prozac, based on your age. Forget about getting any benzo's.
    when did I say about anti depressants?

Don't worry about not hearing anything about a counselling referral yet - these things can take time as there aren't enough counsellors working within the NHS. I was about your age when I was referred to a "talking therapy" for the first time, and found it very helpful, but it did take quite a long time for the initial appointment to come through.

Hi guys,I'm new to all this! I was on trazadone for anxiety and depression. I have since come off them but told the doctor I am still getting the anxiety. I have been prescribed propranolol 40mg and this will be my first day taking it. Really hope it works as my problem is the constant worry I may faint whilst driving or standing in a shop que which ends up making me feel dizzy worrying about fainitng. Vicious circle,never ending

Quote Originally Posted by ImogenX View Post
    when did I say about anti depressants?
    they are used for anxiety as well.

My Doc put me on 40mg to take one when i feel anxious - they certainly do work!
    But i still have horrid sleep patterns and dreams-I wake every morning drenched in sweat after vivid dreams but is it the drug?

I've been prescribed them this morning after having terrible anxiety all weekend and no sleep (just hope I don't get the side effect that causes insomnia). I keep expecting to feel really nervous any second after having a bad attack this morning and that horrible nervous feeling most of the weekend but so far, so good. Can you still get the nervous feeling or does that go away too does any one know? I think I hate that part more than being short of breath with panic sometimes. I'm on 40mg's 2x a day or 3 if needed! Another pill into the mix I am on at the mo trying to calm down.

Hi everyone
    Ok, I know it may sound stupid but I have a terrible fear of taking medications and currently I'm in my 9th day of taking 80 mg propanolol per day...so can It stop my heart if I feel OK?I just took It and this thought don't exit my mind...
    It really helps me but sometimes I have a horrible insomnia and I feel awful on the next day

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information