Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: first time taking propranolol?

Re: first time taking propranolol?

Quote Originally Posted by folypeelarks View Post
    Hi everyone
    Ok, I know it may sound stupid but I have a terrible fear of taking medications and currently I'm in my 9th day of taking 80 mg propanolol per day...so can It stop my heart if I feel OK?I just took It and this thought don't exit my mind...
    It really helps me but sometimes I have a horrible insomnia and I feel awful on the next day
    Propranolol won't stop your heart at normal doses; it just slows it down, lowers your blood pressure and calms you down - regardless of how you're feeling.

It's perfectly safe, I've used the stuff pretty aggressively over the last year in conjunction with many meds. Only problem I've had is a little bit of high blood pressure after it wears off, but I'm taking 160mg extended release a lot of the time.

Hi, just been prescribled this myself, after having a numerous amount of different types of medication. Never had a beta-blocker, and Iam very anxious about taking my first dose, just becase iam to start on 80mg, I know someone who recently started taking them and they started on 10mg, so Iam really not looking forward to these, and Iam making excuses, have been doing all day, to not take them, I know eventualy I will, but dont know when to as in morning or evening. Iam on Mirtazapine aswell and take them at bedtime, so I might take these at the same time, with any luck I'll be asleep before I have any chance to worry about how Iam feeling from them.

I was on 80mg slow release from when I started on Prozac, after three weeks because my anxiety was still so bad the doctor upped them to 160g which I take first thing in morning, they really helped me and I have had no side effects apart from feeling tired in the evenings. I am sure they are what have helped me through

I've been on propranolol for over 2 months now 10mg 3 times a day I noticed they made me sleepy and I had some nightmares the first week. Nothing major aside from that.

Everyone is different in how they react to medication.

Still havent taken any yet, I know its foolish, but Iam terrified of how they might make me feel, feel sick even now thinking about it. I know I will have to take one, if only just to try them to see if they help, but it doesnt stop me thinking about the worst that could happen :(

They will not make you feel sick, the will just help relax you, they made me tired in the afternoon for a few days but that was all, now I get tired in the evening which is a good thing as I am sleeping better. I take mupy 160gradually slow release in the morning, I was worried about taking them as I knew they could lower blood pressure and I suffered with that when I had my boys, but I have been absolutely fine and they have really helped me

I would recommend them without any hesitation. I've been on 160mg for about 2 years now and it's helped me tremendously.

Yes, I get dry eyes and vivid dreams. Maybe I've been lucky, but those dreams are some of the best I've ever had. The rare type of dream that you remember for a very long time are now a regular event.

It's natural to be anxious about first taking something that is intended for people who are anxious. But once you've taken that first step, if you concentrate on the positive ways it makes you feel and have faith in the results, then you won't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by B100D View Post
    Still havent taken any yet, I know its foolish, but Iam terrified of how they might make me feel, feel sick even now thinking about it. I know I will have to take one, if only just to try them to see if they help, but it doesnt stop me thinking about the worst that could happen :(
    I had exactly the same worries when I started them but know that they're absolutely ok, even if You take more than the prescribed. I was so worried that these things may stop my heart that I even inflicted to myself a panic attack on purpose to be sure that this won't happen.

However, now I have the opposite problem..when the time to take them approaches I'm getting totally panicked because the effect from the previous day has passed away and I think that I may receive a heart attack.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information