Thread: Cit and Alcohol

Cit and Alcohol

Been on 20mg for about a year and recently upped to 25mg about 4 weeks ago.... I went out on Sunday night and had quite a bit to drink and since yesterday i feel like i've gone back to square 1.

Anxiety has been terrible and i feel so tired and lethargic... Will this pass and is it the effect of the alcohol with the cit?

Safe to say i wont be drinking on them again!

Re: Cit and Alcohol

Probably the increase rather than the alcohol. Although you are best off avoiding alcohol anyway.

I've learnt that lesson the hard way, i'll def be avoiding alcohol in the future.

Thanks Dan.

From bitter experience, I would say it is probably both (though more alcohol), because 5mg is a small increase so on its own you likely would not have noticed, especially having been taking 20mg for a year.

Alcohol in large quantities is the enemy of anxiety or its best friend depending on how you see it. In other words, it initially depresses the nervous system, but the next day tends to make (me anyway) much more anxious which can last a few days, so I tend to steer clear of alcohol in anything more than a couple of drinks.

After self medicating with the stuff for many years I realised I was drinking more and more just to negate the anxiety it created. Medication helped break this vicious cycle in the end, which was Citalopram funnily enough.

I don't drink on cit - can't tolerate it at all. Funnily enough I don't even feel like it anymore - makes nights out cheaper (silver lining and all that!)

I think it is probably the drinking on citalopram. You aren't meant to drink on it any way but if you want to then make sure you only have one or two.

I'm on 40mg citalopram and I'm not really a drinker any way but a few months ago I had one drink out with my friend and I was drunk straight away! Giggling non stop and going on about crap lol. But it did make me feel quite relaxed. Even so when I do drink I'm only sticking to the one!

I'm not really a drinker either, i think that was the problem...

I seem to feel a bit like when i started on cit and when i increased with the extra anxiety, feeling tired, very tense and sick... I really hope this passes soon.

Planning on going to bed early so i get plenty of sleep and drinking lots of water.

No ore drinking for me that's for sure. I'm so annoyed with myself because i was doing so well.

Thread Information