Thread: PTSD diagnosed now x2 - eeekkss

PTSD diagnosed now x2 - eeekkss

I changed therapists and she's very good. I was raped/sodomized/beat, so was my service dog in front of me and have had horrible problems since then. But whenever I go in to talk to her? We wind up talking about my refractory or intractable epilepsy, which was diagnosed 8 years ago, I'm 57. I think. I have "number confusion".

Just to give you an idea epilepsy doesn't sneak up on you. My first recognized sz was 2 hours for instance and I've never stopped sz'ing since. On top of that I'm photosensitive/photoconvulsive which means basically strobe lights make me sz but so does corduroy, some stripes, checks, trees shining through trees, dappled sunshine on water, pastels, moving icons, all caps in posts, and a huge amount of other things. The world has become an ambush. 5% of us are reported as photosensitive but I don't believe it. I've been on an E chat when someone posts in that neon pink and suddenly everyone's writing turns to mush. I've started writing in a foreign language. The country/language where I was born. 5%? I don't think so. On this E forum I wrote what I thought was an explanatory, thoughtful post about PTSD and E. People start threads all the time about relationship problems, their own depression, I thought PTSD would be appropriate and not one person on a busy forum posted after me. I've found saying I had PTSD in a rape support group was the most silencing thing I could have said too. Whatza deal with saying I have PTSD? I don't broadcast it. It's not an STD. But if it's appropriate to say it, I'm not ashamed of it. At times it's also very obvious. Heck I feel like I earned it! But it scares people apparently, or those around me or maybe it's how I say it?

My first recognized sz at 2 hours long is unusually long, also life threatening, thankfully happened in the hospital where I worked, good in some ways but on the second day of a new job wasn't too whippy. I've probably had it mildly all of my life but I could work, do all normal things. The year before I was diagnosed tho I kept "falling asleep at the wheel" at the same intersection, ran into the garage door twice because I "fell asleep", but we never suspected epilepsy strangely because there are a lot of inherited incidences in my family. I thought I'd passed the age of getting it - I guess. I never worried about it.

Back to topic, all of a sudden I couldn't drive, work, lost tons of income, possessions, had repossessions, my husband had to immediately go to work and he'd just had open heart surgery and our entire life took a nose dive. As things went on I gained new sz types, which is typical. I caught my shirt on fire with one type of sz while I was cooking, burned myself. I'm chronically injured from falling, I'm dependent on rides or just give it up. I'm afraid to walk alone since twice I've sz'd and been found crawling in the street by good samaritans and I have sz's in my sleep which leaves me at risk for death. Relationships with family and friends have primarily gone to heck. For instance my sister has refused to be in my presence for 8 years because my father's sz's "traumatized" her. Imagine what it did to him. The thing is I've come to accept this on most days, not all. It's no longer what I am, it's what I have. It took me tons of effort to get to that point. But others don't accept this, avoid me once they find out I have E. Now I'm finding I don't want friends virtually yet I get so lonely. I avoid people and functions. Acquaintances are fine but the pain of rejection is well, painful. Too much for me and I've experienced it too often. People don't understand epilepsy either but worse, they don't want to. I used to try and educate, I gave that up after yawns, interruptions and obvious disinterest and I had a short spiel. I couldn't have been boring anyone. I've had all these losses, among other things. Loosing my ability to work has been the hardest and since I sz'd when I was volunteering and knocked out my front teeth, I'm not allowed to volunteer anywhere now either due to

Hi Meggy, you seem to have been through so much, being raped is my worst nightmare you poor thing, also to see your dog hurt in front of you must have been hell. I have a friend who suffers with epilepsy and who seems to cope very well under the circumstances, I'm very proud to call her my friend.

Best wishes,

Polly

Hi Polly -
    I had never worried about being raped but I did have to take rape classes since I worked the night shift, had to walk to and from a parking lot at night and to me rape was like a hit and run. Maybe you got banged up some too. I never ever thought people would know I was home alone during the day, start it in my home. These were also two policemen. They ransacaked my house, broke some things, wouldn't talk to me and as bizarrre as all that was? For quite awhile, until they started hurting my dog, I kept thinking these are police so they're trustable, protectors as they tore my house apart. They were only thugs but I couldn't seem to put them in that mode. IOW I wasn't self protective but my dog was, she started growling and they hurt her very badly because of it. That was one of the worst parts of it for me. She has severe arthritis in her spine now because of that and has to wear insulated booties outside in the winter due to the miles of wires and screws holding her front paws together. This happened over 3 years ago. I see her pain? And it always kills me. She takes pain medicaton daily. She also developed epilepsy from a head injury when they hurt her but she is controled by medication. I was able to get away from the man holding me, throw myself on her twice and take her kicks but they always hauled me off. They took me to 3 different places, more men, 7 in all. They're all in prison now. Three other women came forward after I made a very big deal about it. Stated they too had been raped by the same men. I was told only 5% of women who are raped report it. But I heard these men talking about doing this to children and vowed if I lived thru it, I was going to expose them and I did. I was also mad as hell, needed to put them where they belong.

I have 9 daughters that this really scared for themselves in varying degrees of fear. It's very hard for me to tell them to be always cautious and only be adding to their fears. I don't think any of them are as fearful as they were the first year after this happened to me but I do know some things they did like blind dates,opening the door to strangers like sales people they don't any longer and I'm glad. The first time I was raped, I was having a seizure. That's why it seems to tie in too. The whole ordeael is estimated to have lastead 14 hours.

I'm glad your friend is doing well. 70% of all epileptics are controled. I sz more than most people yet I can say I have a more varied and active life than a lot of epileptics too. I make myself do things, not be fearful. Sometimes I know I overdo that, get myself into trouble but being raped and beaten so badly didn't help my epilepsy. Stress produces more sz's in most, it does in me. All it takes for me is to have the doorbell ring and I'm thrown into a sz situation from extreme fear for the whole day. We did disconnect the doorbell finally and put up a sign that says something about don't knock if you're not known.

Yes, it has been hard having both things happen and I struggle with some things I've posted about but I've always been in therapy, always trying to feel better and I have successes too. I'm just a little surprised I'm still in such shock I got epilepsy, and this badly. I thought I had more acceptance that I guess I do. It's hard for me to sort it all out.

Meggy

Hi Meggy, If you ever need to talk, you can always PM me, I'm a good listener.

Take care,

Polly

Thanks Jakes -
    I'm SOOOOO happy you're doing so well. My gosh 6 weeks sz free? Tell me what it's like to have a clear mind - lol. I know a very big factor for me is that one of my sons and both of my parents died in a 3 month period of time.I got very depressed. We'd lived in the same area all of our adult lives and every store, intersection, everything held a memory I couldn't bare it so we decided to move to the mountains, a day away, for a year. Get an emotional break. Then disaster struck immediately. The altitude and thinner air crapped out my husband's heart and immediately I got epilepsy. We weren't around family and friends, had no support and with neither of us working we couldn't afford to move back home. In fact we're still here now, 8 years later but now it's by choice.

When I could work I worked like a demon, I always had. Besides hospital work I owned two companies, made quite a bit of money altho I was too busy to ever appreciate any of that I think so we lived in a neighborhood of moneyed people, many of our friends were more than financially comfortable, not meaning they were scmucks, they weren't. But their lives weren't complicated like this either. We tried to move back home on our now much reduced income, compromised health, and found that if we couldn't get expensive haircuts, drove a cheaper car, couldn't eat lunches at expensive places? We had nothing in commen with these people any more. When I called old friends when we got to town, I was put off. One woman I had helped out a lot, who has emotional problems, put me off after I'd spent years and hours watching her children all the time with my 11 because of chronic post partum depression. I move, she's suddenly cured and has no time for me. I told her she was a hippocrite (sorry - spelling). Plus, most of my children hadn't been around me. That was my fault. They tried to visit me and I put them off, I didn't want them to see me seize. I kept thinking I'd stop, find a magic pill, but I'm on pill number 15 now, I already take 3, the maximum, and I still sz. I sz over 100 times a day. A lot of those are just jerks, absences. My biggest problem is multiple daily Atonic Drops and status sz's, which I have about every 2 weeks and complex partials in my sleep. I had a complex partial in my sleep at my daughter in law's house when we visited, looking for housing. I was up wondering and banging around at night and she threw us out the next day saying that frightened her. That was maybe 3 or 4 years ago. I'm still shocked how people treated us. So like you said those friendships weren't much anyway but it still hurt, it still does and I'm wondering if that disastrous visit is still haunting me. That was such a shock to me. I've been on an E forum for years. Many threads are started about people with relationship problems like mine. I really feel sorry for the young adults looking for a mate. It isn't cool to seize on a date or for men, not be able to drive on a date.

I had two skull fractures, some brain damage from falling repeatedly over 2 days the first year I had this. I wound up with 3 brain surgeries to stop bleeding and swelling and lost a tremendous amount of function. I had excellent therapists though, plus the brain can have an amazing capacity to reroute and now most of those lost functions I recaptured. Not all,but to me? I'm satisfied, thrilled actually. I have right sided weakness but not bad. I choke easily and explosively which is nauseating but so what is how I feel. I'm always glad I still have the choke reflex.I can't remember the date ever, left and rights or directions and I can't count change although I have 12 hours of university upper math. But really? Those are such little things compared to where I started with that head injury. To me they are. To old friends and family, it's shocking. Not all of them, some.

I've tried the fish oils which didn't seem to harm or help me. I do use three alternative treatments tho that do help. One right now, accupuncture, helps me quite

Thread Information