Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does pregabalin feel same as valium?

Question does pregabalin feel same as valium?

hi can anyone tell me if pregabalin gives you same /simular feelings/effects as valium [diazepam etc ]... ???????? thanks

~YOU MUST BRAVE THE STORM TO SEE THE RAINBOW~
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ~If you want to make your dreams come true, the first thing you have to do is wake up~

Re: does pregabalin feel same as valium?

No I don't think so

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi ANG3LIC

I am on 300mg just now of Pregabalin....I think it is working...I don't think it works like diazepam though....although I was told by shrink it works on the GABA receptor in the brain like diazepam......

Steven

Hi im on a very low dose but have had no side affects from pregablin and im very sensitive to medication x

They work on similar receptors in the brain, but the effects are quite different. From memory:

Gaba A - diazepam

Gaba B - pregabalin, gabapentin, baclofen, alcohol

Other things work on Gaba if you're out of balance there - I think glutamate, theanine, niacin (all of which you can supplement) among others. But don't take my word for it, research it yourself
    Last edited by eight days a week; 08-06-12 at 15:27.

It doesnt work like valium etc as it takes several days to work. Sdaly it upset me andcauses extreme dizziness and feeling drunk, couldnt walk or talk straight so it had to be reduced.Doesnt happen to everyone tho and works well so worth a try

Joy

Hi all

Despite the name, pregabalin doesn't affect GABA receptors, and doesn't work in the same way as benzodiazepines (Valium, etc).

"Pregabalin binds potently to the α2-δ subunit of calcium channels, resulting in a reduction in the release of several neurotransmitters, including glutamate, noradrenaline, serotonin, dopamine, and substance P."

That's a quote from a journal article on the web. Translated into understandable English, it means pregabalin slows down the release of excitatory neurotransmitters, which has a calming effect. It acts before the synapse, whereas benzodiazepines act after the synapse.

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Hi all

Despite the name, pregabalin doesn't affect GABA receptors, and doesn't work in the same way as benzodiazepines (Valium, etc).

"Pregabalin binds potently to the α2-δ subunit of calcium channels, resulting in a reduction in the release of several neurotransmitters, including glutamate, noradrenaline, serotonin, dopamine, and substance P."

That's a quote from a journal article on the web. Translated into understandable English, it means pregabalin slows down the release of excitatory neurotransmitters, which has a calming effect. It acts before the synapse, whereas benzodiazepines act after the synapse.
    Wikipedia has failed you.

The quote doesn’t come from Wikipedia. However, substantially the same information is reported in the current Wikipedia article on pregabalin.

The main point is that although both benzodiazepines and pregabalin reduce the activity of neurotransmitters, they do so in different ways. This means that the experience of taking benzodiazepines and pregabalin will probably differ.

Pregabalin does affect GABA.....

Who told you it doesn't?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information