Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clomipramine advice

Re: Clomipramine advice

How are you keeping PP?

Paul

Hi All,Hope you don't mind me joining in. I have been on clomipramine for 8 days now, starting on 20 mg, and raising every 2days, now on 50 mg. Was wondering what side effects you all had as I am very light headed & dizzy, nausea's, no appetite, also don't sleep, which doesn't help the situation, when I get out of bed for the first hour I have terrible shakes, also get periods of blurred vision.
    I also have been on many other ssri's with no success.
    How long did side effects last? Any side effects when upping dose. So many things I want to ask. Thank you in anticipation x

Firstly Hi Paul, I thought I had lost this thread and wanted to see how you were doing. I am sure these meds affect my cognition or it could just be my age. I am doing ok, I have been cutting down to 20mg for past couple of weeks but have felt a bit low and on edge a couple of times, so might go back up to 30 and come down slower when I feel ready again to the 25mg once a day. I can't really say if this lower dose has had any affect on my Big O as I have had a bad cough and cold and so sex has been off the agenda haha!

Welcome to our thread stormyok10, of course you are free to join us. Because I was so bad coming off fluoxetine when I went onto Clom, I can't really say what the side effects where as such as I was just glad to stop retching. If I can remember my hands did shake in a morning but this could have been me and not the tabs as it was early days. I didn't really feel dizzy or nauseous on it. The main side effects I have found are BAD constipation even on a low dose, flushing of the face, neck arms at random moments ( made worse by my periods, so could be hormonally linked), needing to pee a few times through the night. Oh yeah and I also find it very difficult to orgasm ( that's when I actually feel like sex!)I am a little confused with how much it has done for me because some days I feel I could fight the universe and other days I feel exhausted, low and tearful this brings back some anxiety. As I said above I have been on 30mg now for quite a while but I was trying to cut this back but I have been feeling a bit stressed again and so maybe it is not a good time to come off it. I have loads of family illness going on and a lot of pressure on me for being the only driver and I am trying to back away from it but then I just feel guilty. Guilt however is meant to be a recovery feeling as you are no longer doing for everyone else and are starting to look after yourself a bit more.

The max I went to was 40mg but didn't really see any worsening of side effects. I think blurred vision is one of the side effects of clom but if the side effects settle down for you, then hopefully you will find the drug helpful. Also, the older drugs are meant to help with sleep, not sure what dose you are meant to be on for that to happen although I do sleep much better than I did, again I am not sure if this is me getting better or the drugs - it is hard to know.

Take one day at a time and let us know how you are getting on.
    xx

What have you tried up to now? What were your symptoms/story before drugs that led up to you needing them?

Hi PP,

Im currently reducing on clomip by shrinks advice. dropping 5 mg at a time and still feeling it today. currently on 35 mg. starting to think ADs not gonna work for me as this is 5th med in 18 months. Shrink wants me to try holistic approach as i am toosensetive to SE.

Kinda tired of whole thing.

Sorry for poor me.

Take care

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

sorry meant to say how you feeling stormy?

Hi,

I have been taking Clompramine for 6 weeks now and I have now increased dosage to 100mg. Side effects for me so far are feeling really shaky in the morning, really dry mouth, constant dread feeling in stomach (this was the first 3 weeks). I started on 20mg and increased by 10mg every few days that I felt confident to. I only made 100mg last night.

I just go to bed at night, praying that in the morning I will just wake up and feel 'normal' at the moment.. it just takes so long :(

Tracy

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

Hi Tracyp584, did you have those symptoms before starting the meds as some if it could be anxiety/depression? I can't imagine what it is like to be on 100mg as I am only on 30 and I can't seem to poop?! and I get facial flushing, although like sober2000june I think I am sensitive to meds.
    I can relate to your praying each night to just feel normal each day, I used to go to bed in tears, knowing that my sleep would be bad and knowing that when I did finally drop off, I would wake and boom, the dread of the day would hit me and I really don't know how I made it through each day. I am a lot better than I was after 6 months of clomipramine but there are still lots of things that could be better, like if I don't get enough sleep, I feel groggy and low and it really spoils my day as I feel that I have no energy to go anywhere or do anything and I I think to myself that I will never be normal - these last emotional years of anxiety and depression, depersonalisation, not feeling with it etc etc have really taken their toll and I lack the ability to have fun because any slight feeling of anything in me sends me back to constantly checking how I feel.
    Let us know how you go on this med.
    How are you stormyok10?
    Big hug to you sober2000june, tired is how I feel very often - sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. What have your withdrawal symptoms been if any on each 5mg drop?
    Big hugs to all. xx

Hi, how is everyone doing? I came off clomipramine after GP failed to find an alternative for me, but have hit rock bottom again and due to see her again tomorrow. Really do not know how it's gonna go :(

I am on a v low dose of clomipramine which I don't know if it does anything or not to be honest. I did try to come off them completely but after 5 days I was getting really strange feelings and I was like a bear with a sore head and everytime I turned around I had like a shock??

I feel tired and crap a lot of the time, but I feel achy not necessarily depressed? Maybe it is the physical symptoms of depression?

When you say rock bottom, what symptoms are you having?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information