Thread: Discomfort under ribs and boobs

Discomfort under ribs and boobs

Evening everyone.

About a month ago i had a discomfort under my left breast along my rib which was very tender. It went up along side my breast but not on my breast. I suffer with IBS and am use to discomfort under my ribs on the left side and sometimes radiates to the armpit, along with trapped wind, gurrgling etc; but this was something i hadnt experienced before.

My Mum at the same time had just been diagnosed with Breast Cancer, which thankfully has been removed with no futher treatment and the outcome looks very promising. My health anxiety is mainly centered around the fear of cancer so my mind has gone into overdrive.

This discomfort finally passed, but in the last 3 days the IBS symptoms have returned along with a very tender spot along the ribs right imbetween my breasts that can go under the breast and up to the armpit, occassionaly getting some sharp pains and almost burning sensation; the discomfort does come and go and lessen on and off. Due to my Mum's history and my cancer worries im worrying it's something to do with my boobs.

Has anyone come across this tender ribs, almost bruised? any ideas what it is? can you get this with Anxiety? any ideas how to deal with it?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post, and any responses will be greatfully recieved.

Thanks,

Mandy xx

Re: Discomfort under ribs and boobs

Mandy

It sounds like it could be acid reflux/indigestion to me to or another thing is Costochondritis

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks Nicola.

A couple of people i have spoke to have mentioned both.

xx

I've had costochondritis, it was very painful but harmless. Still get the odd twinge from it even after 4 years. I picked it up after a really bad cough, i thought i'd broken every rib in my body but Xray showed no cracks. The tenderness you describe sounds very familiar, my ribs were agony to the touch. Hopefully you'll soon feel better.

MazF... can you explain a little more on costochondritis? I only ask because an accupuncturist mentioned it to me a little while ago regarding the pain in my sternum, side and back.

Gastrointestinal illnesses cause all kinds of pains. When you consider all the organs in this system, liver, kidneys Etc. Even worrying can cause extra stress. Have it checked out if you cannot stop worrying or if the pain does not go away. It is not worth it to not make sure you are all right.

ive had costochondritis too, pain and tender to touch right on the sternum and to the right between the rib in between my boobs. This all started after having bronchitis, but kept coming and going for a few months. Dont really get it much now, just the odd twinge.
    When i first had it i knew what it was but my health anxiety / fear of breast cancer / mother had breast cancer (sounds just like your mum), but i still went to the gp for reassurance - thing is he then sent me to breast clinic which was totally unecessary, they of course said i was fine and it was probably costochondritis xx

Hi, Acidomoduso, i'm no expert but from what i gather costrochondritis is inflammation of the cartilage connecting the ribs. Mine was localised to an area on my left side but it can occur anywhere on the ribcage where there's cartilage. Painkillers help a bit but it just takes its course.

Thread Information