Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercise

Exercise

I don't know if anyone else finds it difficult to get fit or exercise. I get so paranoid and scared. After running for 5 mins my vision felt weird and I felt out of breath and I am so terrified to even push myself and I worry somethings wrong with me (which I hope there isnt) but I also wonder if its linking to my anxiety as I fear fainting and getting out of breath. I also fear getting unwell from exercising (I have Emetophobia the fear of being sick) so I fear over-exertion and I don't know if this is why I experience feeling out of breath and my vision seemingly going weird. Can anyone relate? And how do I get fit as I'd love to get fit without terrifying myself????? It does bring me down as I can't even do 5 minutes of 10 minutes of running. And I just want to look after myself and I think I'd feel more confident if I felt fit and happy.

Re: Exercise

Try walking first, and building up to running. If you haven't been running before then jumping straight in will be a hard effort for your body to deal with. Try looking through the links on Beginners on the Runners World website which will help you get started, and help to reassure you that what your body is going through and feeling is totally natural.

Running can be some of the best treatment for anxiety and help you on your way to a happy, healthy future

Try something slow, like yoga or Thai chi.

I am gradually building up an exercise regime. Not only does it strengthen my back but it helps me control my breathing. Even subconsciously I hyperventilate so exercising (especially yoga) helps me control that.

I highly recommend gentle yoga poses, like the tree, lotus, palm tree etc. They aren't physically challenging but help people to control their breathing before they endure the more difficult poses.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

I can understand the problems you are having with exercise.
    When you run you get a rush of adrenaline and your heart rate increases and your breathing is faster, obviously!
    This is probably causing your anxiety, I was getting the same symptoms when going to the gym, I now have an exercise bike at home, but I do not overdue it, I also walk my dogs, nearly every day.
    Perhaps you could try power walking or jogging and stop every now and then to get your heart rate back to a normal pace.
    I think these symptoms are normal for an anxiety sufferer!

BobbyDog

When I started having panic attacks, I got awful feelings when I was at the gym, especially while running. Heart palpitations, feeling like I would faint, blurry vision, everything. Ever since I got my heart test results back as normal, I have hardly felt those feelings anymore, so it must have been linked to my anxiety.

Just keep going, build up your exercise slowly like others have said. I run and do pilates and yoga, so I have a balance of cardio, muscle strengthening and relaxation.

Thank you for the replies :-)

I was thinking of starting yoga so I may look further into this as I'd get the classes with my membership to the gym which may I add I've barely used so far!!!

I will try my best, the blurry vision etc. sounds like myself hopefully its anxiety and I'll be able to calm myself down and get fit soon!xx

Hi

I was told by my doctor not to do any high intensity aerobic exercise as it can bring on anxiety. I now walk for 40 mins everyday. I walk reasonable fast and I have been told it is better for my health slow and long.

Mee

Hey there.

I have been in karate for 20 years on and off. When I am really low mentally I stop training and that in itself makes me sad. Basically because I know I'm good at it and it's great for a work out. I was out of karate for more than 12 months recently, I put on loads of weight and became very depressed. I missed karate so much and my friends there and the kids I used to teach. When I started dieting I wasn't loosing much weight and I knew the key was to go back.
    I was so scared, so nervous and anxious about returning that it made me sick with worry. I don't know why, maybe it was because I wouldn't be welcomed back or that I would freeze and forget everything and make a fool of myself. After a few weeks with encouragement and support from my friends and family I finally went back, and it was the best thing ever...I have to tell you, I know what your saying...I thought I was going to keel over and die, honestly it was a killer! My legs and arms and back were aching and my legs were wobbly. My head was pulsating and bright red and my eyes felt weird, my breathing was also erratic.
    It didn't stop me though, I have been going twice a week since then and last week I lost 7lb. The reward was amazing. I feel better and healthier.
    Exercise is a great stress buster (especially karate because you can fight people in a controlled environment)
    As people say try something less demanding to begin with, like walking, cycling on flat roads, or swimming is great too. Do it all at your own pace and your stamina will soon start to increase, your body will let you know when you can do more. Good luck xxx

I've been battling this this weekend!!! Went for a couple of bike rides and yeah got really panicked and breathless etc.... They say we don't like this feeling as it resembles a panic episode like the physical attributes etc....

They say to just keep on keeping on but it is hard, you must also give yourself credit for doing it also no matter how little you think you are doing.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information