Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried about mirtazapin

Worried about mirtazapin

My doc wants me to give Mirta a try. First 15mg and then higher to 30mg or more.
    What worries me especially is that I read that people feel totally tired when they take it and that they gain a lot of weight.

If it made me feel totally tired then I'd have to quit it.
    But what about weight gain? Do you gain weight cause you eat more or do you gain weight cause it affects the metabolism or something?

Does anyone have an advice how you can find out as quickly as possible if you'll gain weight on mirta? Would you start gaining weight directly when you take your first dose or could the weight gain also occur in spurts and you think everything is okay and then all of a sudden you pack on pounds of fat?

I also read that mirta isn't really a good AD but only helps you sleep is this true? Cause I need an AD.

Re: Worried about mirtazapin

Hi i tried mirtazapine but unfortunatly it didn't work for me as an AD but it did help me sleep but watch out for the munchies......i was literally raiding my cupboards for food whilst taking this especially at night time just after id taken the pill...i was starving all the time so you have to be really strict with yourself when the munchies hit or i guess you'll pile on the pounds xx

I tried it a few weeks ago and it made me sleepy within the hour, and out of it for the next two days, but that was me. I have read loads of people accounts who say that wears off, and they still sleep well, without the tiredness.

I also know someone who takes it, and whilst their sleep is really good now, they are no more tired than normal during the day.

I think you have to give it a go, because it affects people differently. I have just started taking it again last night on a very small dose (quarter of a 15mg tablet) and it feels fine. It made me drowsy and I slept well, but I was prescribed it because of my mood and poor sleep pattern. I feel fine now this morning. My friend has had some weight gain, but probably only 7or 8 pounds over 4 months. It has made them crave sweet foods slightly more, but then they did love them anyway...! So no major issue there. I'm going to try and be disciplined about the food thing by eating fruit when hungry if poss.

Good luck and hope it goes well for you.

In my experience Mirtazapine is good for depression, not so much for the anxiety I have found, just my experience.

I take 45mg at night and am not tired the next day, which I was when I first started taking it.

I did gain weight when I first started taking it, but at the time I was not aware of this side effect of Mirtazapine. I cut down on the amount of food I was consuming and am now back to my original weight. It makes me crave carbohydrates, but I am aware and resist temptation, some of the time. You have the knowledge, so just eat normaly and everything should be OK.

BobbyDog

Hi,
    I guess I really have to try it and see how it works for me.

From what I read it works different in low doses compared to high doses.
    Low doses are supposed to only make you tired while higher doses of 30mg or more are also supposed to have a boosting effect.

What's also weird is that it says in the leaflet that in cause of euphoria one should call his doctor. What if I take it and it really works and I feel good then how do I know if this is a good sign or also a side effect?

From my recent experiences with it, I would say to take it and see how you feel. Sounds obvious, but its the only way really..

After a shaky start with it I am now on 7.5mg per day and it helps me sleep in the main. I don't feel especially tired during the day. A little less energy yes, but nothing that can't be worked through. I certainly don't feel exhausted or anything.

I have been on that dose for 3 days and it seems fine. So I will increase to the full 15mg in a week or two.

I have felt hungrier in the evenings, but nothing major. And have prepared by having loads of fruit around to snack on..

Hope it works out for you.

Hello, yesterday I took my highest dose so far (22.5mg) and I slept 12+ hours and still feel totally tired the whole day. I dont know if this will work out. I also feel restless today but I also have a lot of stress. Being tired all day is really not helping me.

Hi Alec,

I've been on mirtazapine for a couple of years now. I put on weight when I first started taking it, but I was totally stressed out, and using food to comfort myself.

Since then, my weight has been constant, although higher than I would like. I've tried dieting to get back down, but my willpower collapses after a week or so. But if you can avoid the initial weight gain, maintaining a constant weight is possible without feeling starved.

Hello,
    I am really discouraged. I have been taking it for 3 and a half weeks now and I have been on 30mg for 2 weeks and I feel nothing. It doesn't seem to be doing anything except make me totally tired.
    This is so discouraging. From what I read mirtazapin doesn't work like a SSRI but instead it increases the production of serotonine. Now if this doesn't even work for me then what's left? I feel liek antidepressants are totally useless. Celexa also didn't work for me. I'm still depressed and anxious. :(

I've been on Mirtazapine almost 4 months and it doesn't seem to work for me either sadly, not even as a sleep aid anymore, my anxiety is still absolutely terrible too, I never have an anxiety free day. I'm wanting OFF it as I can't see it suddenly starting to work now. I've not put on any weight like some people though at all, in fact people are telling me I have gone thin but I am eating like mad but walking so much because of the anxiety.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information