Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried about mirtazapin

Re: Worried about mirtazapin

I too am worried sick about the weight gain. I am even restricting what I eat. I have only been on it 5 days 30mg and feels so dizzy.

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:30 ----------

Also have people gained weight because they are eating more or because of your metabolic rate?

I've not gained any weight, I walk a lot so burn off calories that way though I'm not rushing to the food cupboards half as much as when I first went on Mirtazapine. Sadly it's just not working for me as I am going through a divorce and went on it as I have insomnia and panic attacks, at first it did really make me sleep but I may aswell just swallow a bit of chalk now!
    Having said that I know someone who is on it and it really helped them, though they did put a bit of weight on but not tons and tons!!
    I was praying it would work for me as I go through hell at first on drugs like Citalopram and Prozac. ):

Hi there, just wondering how you are going with Mirtazapine as I'm at the stage you were ie. your last post. 3rd week on 30mg after 2 weeks at 15mg and not getting much relief with depression. Don't know if I need to give it longer or if this med is not for me. So fed up as I need to get back to work after 4 months off. Trying to stay positive, active etc. lack motivation and energy. Wonder if anyone has any advice.

Hi Katy there is a lot of negative stuff about mirtazapine on this forum but it has to give a balanced view. All I can say is that mirtazapine works for me. I am on 45mg and have been for four years. If you are in the early stages of treatment then it will take about four to six weeks before you will notice a difference in your depression and anxiety. For me it is the best anti d for depression. Most of the time I sleep well. I have had bad anxiety in the early stages of my treatment but this has gone for the most part now. Illness and times of extreme stress can see the return of some of my symptoms. I would definitely give mirtazapine a fair trial before you go back to the doctors for your review. If you feel that your symptoms are worsening then return to your GP asap. EJ.

Hi EJ, thank you so much for replying to my post. I will take your advice and give this med a fair trial. I have read many of your posts on here when looking for answers and you always appear to take time to reassure others with their queries and I am grateful you picked up mine. I think I am just getting where I am desperate to get my life back to something near normal. I lost both my sister and dad very suddenly this year. It 'hit' me 3 months after my dear little sister died; I thought I was dealing with it, however I was just coping by keeping as busy as possible. I was already taking citalopram, which was increased but with no effect, just side effects. My poor dad then died after not being able to accept losing his youngest daughter..... the worst year of my entire life. I was then changed to venlaflaxine with horrific side effects, hence now taking mirtazapine. I do realise it is still early days yet and I am feeling better than I have been today (I usually settle more in the evening). I'm pleased you are continuing to do well on this med.... hopefully I will too, I just have to give it more time. Thanks for your advice and hope you don't mind me giving my 'story' as somtimes it helps to put it all down in words xx

Hi Katy I'm sorry that you have been recently bereaved. Losing both family members in such a short space of time would be enough for anyone and to tip them over the edge. My Dad died last year at the age of 81. He had renal cancer. Prior to this he had led a full and active life and had been a widow for over twenty years. My mum died when she was 61 of MND. Losing a sibling must be one of the worse things imaginable and it will take a long time for you to feel 'back to normal' I hope that you have been offered some sort of bereavement counselling? You can always pop on here and post how you are feeling? I have felt annoyed recently as there have been so many negative posts about mirtazapine. I'm sitting there thinking I must be one of the only success stories. I'm not 'good' with meds either having had a bad time with duloxetine and seroxat. In saying that if it really isn't working then there are other anti d's to try? I needed to be on a mood stabiliser as well as my moods were so extreme. All that has been ironed out with the lithium and mirtazapine. Are you still taking the venlafaxine? EJ

Hi again EJ, sorry to hear you lost your Dad too, my Dad was 77 and lived his life to the full too, however he was a broken man when Liz died. It is sometimes comforting to think of them together now. I just want to be able to gather some strength to support Liz's husband and 3 daughters (they are so brave) and my own family. I have been having some counselling which helps a lot and I'm thankfully not still taking Venlaflaxine. I think I need to believe that Mirtazapine 'works' for me; I have been able to tolerate it so far, unlike the venlaflaxine which I had to endure for 6 weeks. I have a friend and neighbour who takes lithium after a very bad post natal depression and it seems to have stablised her. I have read some other positive posts as well as your own; I think people are more inclined to post negativty regarding meds as if they work for you, you probably don't look so much on sites like this (my take on it anyway). xx

Yes I agree Katy it is easier to post if you are having a bad time. If the side effects from a drug (apart from start up effects are so bad then a GP needs to be consulted) I imagine that your sister was very young when she died and to leave a young family - devastating. Finding the strength to carry on with the day to day stuff but also the practical issues when someone has died. We had my Dad's estate to sort out and my husband was especially good in this respect. He helped my sister and I to sort out the probate which we did ourselves and to eventually to sell his house. There were other more painful issues which I can't go into here and feeling alone in making quite major decisions. It is a relief that it is all over but there are still issues hanging over. I'm always around if you need to chat. EJ

hi katy2104

its my 3rd week on 30mg of mitrazapine too. I started off 15mg and then my doctor increased the dosage to 30mg. Im taking it for panic attacks and depression. I thought I was better !!! and then today I had a panic attack that scared me so much I cant get over it today!!! I feel shaky and anxious all day. I haven't had one in few weeks and then today I was out in the town, was in the Que and could feel that in the minute I will have a panic attack and then my heart started to go crazy I though I will faint !!! All day couldn't eat anything cos all I've been thinking is this panic attack i had today. Im a bit worried myself!!! why again it happened???!!! Im so scared that i will always have them and never will be ok again:( But I know its too eraly to go to my Gp coz its been only 3 weeks and I know that GP will say that I have to wait for at leat 4 to 6 weeks even 8 weeks to see the full result.

I think we all have to stay positive and I know its really hard when you feel crap but do we have other choice??!!!!I was always on citalopram I mean or the past 6 years but then I came off it coz wanted to try get pregnant. I got pregnant in may and then miscarried and I had to go back on citalopram coz I started getting panic attacks again. My Gp put me back on citalopram 20mg I was waiting 9 weeks and I wasnt any better!!!! I went to A&E at some point cos I was worried that I will do something to myself!! this is how fed up I was and anxious non stop. So I was referred to Mental Health Unit and I was a consultant who decided that maybe citalopram doesnt work on me anymore. I was given 15mg of mitrazapine to start with then 3 weeks ago the dosage was increased to
    30 mg. Im deinitly better but then yesterday out of nowhere I had a panic attack!!!! it scared me so much!!! I didnt sleep all nite last nite!!!! Im feeling shaky and anxious at times:( will this horrible feeling ever end???? Im sick of trying new medication I feel like an experiment ,they just trying new medication every time I dont feel well. I once was put on fluoxitine and it was a disaster!!! that was about 6 years ago. Can we ever be free from panic attacks and anxiety??? I dont want to live like this!!! I want to have kids and be happy. Can I stay on AD while pregnant???I dont think i can be without any AD during pregnancy coz my anxiety cause to much panic attacks!!! Please can anyone write something about pregnancy and AD?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information