Thread: Hypnotherapy

Hypnotherapy

I wanted to ask if anyone had received hypnotherapy. I suffer from phobias (related to loss of control) OCD, IBS, anxiety and have had two sessions. I like the therapist but I'm just not sure. It simply feels like someone waving a magic wand over my head to see if something happens! I feel quite good after (though end up with a bad headache) but the 'effects' (as in positive thinking, no so obsessive) only lasts a day or so and I'm back to making lists and feeling anxious with IBS. It is also expensive and I'm not sure if it is worth doling out £40 an hour (this is a lot to me) if it doesn't really work for me. I know that some say hypnotherapy is good but what do you think?

Re: Hypnotherapy

Never worked for me nevr felt as if I went'under' and my mind was wandering all over the place. Even thyypnotherapist said they was no point in carrying on

Joy

I went for 2 sessions to a Hypnotherapist at £60 a time, I was more anxious after that than I was before. He made me think about my panic and that only made me panic all the more.

Every case is different though, I am sure some people have good results.

BobbyDog

TBH I don't know of anyone who has had any good results with hypnotherapy for anxiety and similar things. I think it can work for general relaxation, and some phobias like spiders etc.... but don't think it is much use for anx.

am not sure if there is any evidence-base for hypnotherapy so cant see the point to it, though i might be wrong and it might have helped somebody

thetube82

Thread Information