Thread: Do I just need to be patient or should I medicate?

Do I just need to be patient or should I medicate?

Two months ago on the way to deliver some of the most demanding presentations of my life (I am a 52-year-old man) I started developing some physical symptoms I had never experienced before. Tingling in the left arm and leg, left eyelid twitch, left eye pain, muscle twitching mostly left-sided but some right-sided.Convinced that I had Multiple Sclerosis or some other degenerative disease my anxious personality left me in panic. A number of medical appointments have involved blood tests, eye tests, ECG and CAT scan of the brain. All normal. A physiotherapist told me that the tingling in the lower shoulder I also had was probably due to the very tight muscles she found there whilst doing deep tissue massage.

My rational self tells me (as do the professionals) that I have not lost strength or sensation in any limb, however, a recent symptom has been that my left leg seems tired after walking a few blocks in a way my right leg doesn't. This induces more anxiety and panic. The tingling, twtiching continue to this day.

A psychiatrist I saw on a one-off basis yesterday suggests a year on Lexapro (anti-depressant).

I am wondering whether I should just be patient and hope the symptoms clear up of their own accord now that another medical professional tells me that these are bona fide symptoms of anxiety or should I try a 12-month course of drugs?

I'd be grateful for opinions...

Re: Do I just need to be patient or should I medicate?

Hi EL,

Of course only you can make this decision but personally i'd give it a good think before you go on to the SSRIs. Whilst they can help people they can also generate a host of unpleasant side effects, both going on to them and then again when you need to come off. Some people swear by them and some people hate them. If i had to go through it all again i think i'd do without them, everybody is different though!

i hope you feel better soon. good luck.

Re: Do I just need to be patient or should I medicate?

Hi ok I will come from a different point. lol

If you had an infection and your doctor suggested a course of antibiotics (even though all meds can have side effects) you would most likely take the meds by following the medics advice.
    So if the professional person is suggesting you take Lexapro then feel free to follow their advice.

I think maybe Mr Spock had the right idea that human emotions have many flaws and are very unpredictable Live Long & Prosper

Diagnosed With Following Under Mental Health

Severe Depression
    Generalised Anxiety Disorder
    Panic Disorder
    Borderline Personality Disorder
    Agoraphobia

Physical Health Diagnosis's

Type 2 Diabetes
    Blood Clotting Disorder
    Lymphoedema
    Asthma
    Sleep Apnoea