Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dentist phobia help !!!

Dentist phobia help !!!

i know i am a woose, i have had toothache for a couple of days now, and painkillers are taking it away .....at the moment, the thing is i need to see the dentist, but i have a real phobia, i mean terrified of going, just need to hear of anyone the same, who has been and overcome this.

im not just afraid im petrified, even the thought of it sends me into a panic

Re: Dentist phobia help !!!

Sorry to hear of your toothache PinkDove.

I haven't really "overcome" my phobia as such. I just get work done while "consciously sedated" via iv midazolam. Only certain dentists are trained in this though.

Haz. x

I'm the same - if I even see mouthwash or toothpaste adverts on tv it reminds me of the dentist and fills me with dread. Hate the place. I try to just tell myself that what's the worst that can happen. They're so used to people being scared, they should be supportive. A previous dentist I had was really good and we arranged I'd raise my hand if I wanted him to stop at any point. Unfortunately the dentist I have now isn't as understanding - and I need to go! Argh!

aw lizzie what are we like, but i need to try and be brave, hoping this toothache will go, and i can forget all about it.

i should be able to go after all ive been through, but when you are just getting better from anxiety and depression, it is ten times worse, thanks for the reply hun xxx

I wrote this if it is any help:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/dental/

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

thanks nicola really helpfull, from your link i now know it is the fear of being stuck in the chair, and i also have white coat syndrome....what a woose, thanks for your reply x

It really helps if you can find a dentist that you feel comfortable with.
    Then bring ear plugs or ear phones to block out the sound of drill.
    I'm scared too of the dentist but I've always found I manage to cope somehow .
    It helps to remember the dentist is there to help you .
    A lot of dentists now wear blue instead of white to make people feel more comfortable.
    I also take a Seditive too, it helps relax me a little.

I notice with me my anticipation anxiety is usually the worst part.

At least make an appointment , you'll meet the. Dentist n hell do an x ray n tell you what needs to be fixed.
    You can discuss your anxiety too .
    I find it helps as the dentist knows to be a little bit more gentle with you n that you might need a short break etc .

aw thanks mishel, i will try to be brave xx

Has your dental practice got several dentists cos if so you could speak to the practice manager and explain your fear and ask which dentist would be the best to see

Love Joy

Personally I would just use a benzo. Whether that be diazepam,or lorazepam. The muppets who hold back these medications and have probably never experienced anxiety.

A minority of dentists will sedate you, by putting a cannula in your arm, and then giving you midazolam - a short acting drug.

If your GP doesn't prescribe you diazepam, I have just checked and dentists can. Maybe ring before explain everything and I don't see why a dentist wouldn't give you a script for a couple 5mg tablets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information