Thread: Heart murmur

Heart murmur

Hey All

does anyone know if heart murmurs are dangerous? I was told i had a heart murmur and was sent for an echocardiogram which was clear so I no longer have a heart murmur. Does anyone know if a murmur can just come and go like this?

Thanks
    Phil

Re: Heart murmur

hi
    Dont know if they can just go but my daughter who is nearly 30 went into hospital 6 months ago with appendicitus and they discovered she had a murmer too. She had an echo done and the results was it was benign which meant it was harmless.

I have a heart murmur. I went to the docs a few years ago with a sore throat and they found it. I had an ecg and a heart scan and it was all fine. No treatment needed, I wouldn't even know I had it. It doesn't affect me.

I have a heart murmur and like you got sent for ECG and echo. They're actually very common but often undetected until you have a physical exam.

If you've had an echo with a normal result then you've no need to worry, this would most certainly have picked up any sinister reasons for a murmur. In most cases the echo just finds slight leakage of the valves which causes the sound but is in no means a problem, it's just classed as a variation of normal so the echo will be deemed "normal" and the murmur called benign. So whilst your murmur may not have disappeared, it is nothing to worry about.

My mother has had a heart murmur all her life, and shes now 71 and fit and healthy, so i would say to get to 71 with a heart murmur is OK. Have a good day and have fun .

I've got a benign one too. It's quite common.

Thread Information